This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6841 / 55°41'2"N
Longitude: -4.0481 / 4°2'53"W
OS Eastings: 271329
OS Northings: 645300
OS Grid: NS713453
Mapcode National: GBR 025Q.D7
Mapcode Global: WH4R8.SDJC
Plus Code: 9C7QMXM2+JQ
Entry Name: Overfield
Listing Name: Overfield House Including Ha-Ha, Entrance Gatepier and Quadrant Walls, Glassford Road, Strathaven
Listing Date: 11 November 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331847
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1325
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Avondale and Stonehouse
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Early 19th century with alterations 1969 and 2003. 2-storey, 3-bay classically styled villa with piended roof and 2 single outshoots to rear forming a U-plan, sited in an open site and overlooking falling ground to the east. Rendered with droved painted stone margined quoins, base and eaves courses. Plain cornice to central entrance doorpiece with projecting cills to windows on principal elevation. Four panel entrance door with horizontal pen light. Graded slate roofs. Small mid-20th century flat roofed infill to rear. Original timber sash and case windows (with astragals removed).
The interior was seen 2014. The building underwent internal alteration in 1969. Some original interior features remain including 8-panelled shutters, 6-panel doors, moulded architraves and the original curved stone stair with low risers, plain metal bannisters, timber handrails and half height window to the rear. The original first floor drawing room has been subdivided but the decorative arched niche recess survives within a bathroom.
Overfield House is a good example of a pre-1840 villa that largely retains its character and demonstrates typical design detailing for a building of this period and style. The building, although altered internally, is a good example of an early 19th-century rural villa in a rural setting with a surviving low ha-ha wall to falling ground to the east. The main elevation has characteristics of a typical example of a building of 1820s date with wide and low proportions; windows that are tucked just underneath the eaves and a shallow pitched roof.
Overfield House can be dated to around 1826 as a penny of that date was found in the wallplate during alterations in 1969. To further evidence this date the house does not appear on Thomson's map dated 1822 although it does appear on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map which was surveyed in 1858.
Works were carried out to the building in 1969 which included the removal of the chimney stacks, introduction of steel H-beams to strengthen the span of the first floor joists and the removal of all fireplaces. The remaining internal details include the doors, architraves, shutters and windows and the fine curved stone stair with large window to the half landing. Alterations to the southern most outshot (former byre) in circa 2003 included new window openings. The later unattached outbuildings to the rear were constructed in the 20th century when the site was used as a market garden. When built the house had a walled garden adjoining to the south side which has now been mostly demolished, although part of the wall remains as the wall of a later outbuilding. One corniced stone entrance gatepier and the low quadrant walls survive.
Other nearby listed buildings