This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5628 / 55°33'46"N
Longitude: -3.8276 / 3°49'39"W
OS Eastings: 284836
OS Northings: 631418
OS Grid: NS848314
Mapcode National: GBR 14Q3.4Q
Mapcode Global: WH5T3.5FLV
Plus Code: 9C7RH57C+4X
Entry Name: Hand Crane, Sawmill, New Mains
Listing Name: New Mains
Listing Date: 21 April 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332114
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1496
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Clydesdale South
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Dated 1838. Estate complex, with stables, workshops, barns
and living accommodation; 2 storeys forming a square and
enclosing a courtyard; single storey square block within.
Stugged ashlar with polished dressings.
Symmetrical north west facade has central, square, 2-stage
tower with blocked segmental-headed pend and 3 round-headed
openings, 2 blind, over cill course in 2nd stage. Douglas
arms, date and inscription "Erected by Archibald Lord
Douglas" on courtyard elevation. Cornice and bell-cast slate
roof. Flanked by 3-bay wings with additional projecting end
bays forming end of ranges. South west elevation has 2 3-bay
houses to left and 3 broad bays to right. North east
elevation has 3-bay house at right, 5-bay store with
segmental-headed central entrance and re-set 1693 datestone
with Douglas arms and later inscription above. Later shed
added at left. Rear south west elevation has central entrance
to courtyard with flanking 5-bay blocks; each have series of segmental-headed cart sheds with lofts above.
Courtyard block has rectangular door and window openings to
each elevation. Slate roofs throughout.
To south: Circa 1838, 3 single storey and attic, 3-bay
cottages, arranged symmetrically in U-plan. Stugged ashlar
with polished margins. Central cottage: broad, advanced
gabled porch with single sash window, door in re-entrant
angle; mullioned windows in outer bays. 2 gabled wall-head
dormers and small central dormer. Connected by 2 narrow
linking bays to 2 centre-doored cottages forming sides of U.
Sash windows and 2 piended dormers. End stacks and slate
House to west is dated 1838. L-plan single storey and attic
manager's house. Stugged ashlar with polished dressings and
chamfered margins. Symmetrical north west entrance front:
3-bays, hoodmoulded door with fanlight in half-piended
advanced central bay. Plate glass sash windows with
hood-moulds. Half-piended slate roof. Octagonal end stacks.
North east elevation: lying-pane glazing at ground floor,
plate-glass sashes at attic. Low, recessed, 3 bay wing to
Also building to south east:
Circa 1838; asymmetrical range of 3 cottages, that to right
single storey, with 3 bays, door and window in modern
advanced central bay; shed returns at right angles to form
L-plan. 2 storey 4-bay central cottage has 3 advanced bays
with central gabled porch, and 2 pigeon lofts flanking
mullioned 1st floor window; single left bay. 2-storey 3-bay
cottage to left has central door behind modern porch, windows
in outer bays. Sash windows with lying-pane glazing in ground
floor. 1st floor windows with piended dormer heads. Ridge
stacks and piended slate roof.
Re-set date stone inscribed: "Removed from the old stables of
Other nearby listed buildings