This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6214 / 57°37'17"N
Longitude: -3.0887 / 3°5'19"W
OS Eastings: 335069
OS Northings: 859570
OS Grid: NJ350595
Mapcode National: GBR L8QL.5TN
Mapcode Global: WH6JJ.JPFQ
Plus Code: 9C9RJWC6+HG
Entry Name: Gordon Castle
Listing Name: Gordon Castle, Mansion House, Gatepiers and Conservatory/Orangery
Listing Date: 26 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332274
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1595
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Fochabers Lhanbryde
Traditional County: Banffshire
MANSION HOUSE: John Baxter, 1769-83; repaired after fire. Archibald Simpson, 1827; remodelled in present form by Schomberg Scott, 1961-5. Substantial castellated Georgian, symmetrical 2-storey range. Tooled ashlar, polished ashlar dressings.
N entrance front with principal 7-bay elevation and further lower 2-storey, 6-bay range extending E. 7-bay symmetrical return W gable and extensive S garden front with conservatory/orangery at SE. Principal entrance in N front in slightly advanced 3 centre bays; pedimented and keystoned doorpiece with monograms on lintel dated 1965; moulded architraves to windows; round-headed windows in lower E block.
Pedimented and keystoned entrance in centre of symmetrical 7-bay W front, again with centre 3 bays slightly advanced.
Extensive S garden front with varied but regular fenestration similar to that on N elevation.
Sash and case windows, mainly 12-pane glazing. Corbelled and crenellated wallhead; coped stacks; shallow piended slate roof.
INTERIOR: entrance lobby leads to octagonal central hall from which (1965) curved staircase rises to circular 1st floor top-lit landing with re-used 18th century white marble chimneypiece. Further reused marble chimneypieces in 1st floor drawing room and ground floor library/study. 1827 Simpsonesque key-pattern doorpieces; moulded ceiling cornices; panelled doors and window reveals.
CONSERVATORY-ORANGERY: probably Archibald Simpson, circa 1830. Tooled ashlar. Tall fenestrated 9-bay front with similar windows in return gables, all with lying-pane glazing. Shallow piended glazed roof.
GATE-PIERS: probably 1769-82 and possibly re-sited. Pair tall square ashlar gatepiers flank drive to N entrance of mansion. Moulded caps support carved stone eagles.
The origins of Gordon Castle are said to date from 1275 and 1540, when the property was known as the Bog o' Gight, the seat of the Earls, Marquis's and subsequently the Dukes of Gordon (and Richmond). It is now the property of the Gordon-Lennox family.
The early tower was incorporated in a circa 1700 mansion which was remodelled and greatly enlarged for the 4th Duke of Gordon by John Baxter, architect, Edinburgh, 1769-82.
The E wing of the castle was damaged by fire in 1827, repaired with some internal modifications by Archibald Simpson, Aberdeen. In 1961 extensive portions of the mansion were demolished, leaving the E wing as the sole dwelling, the ancient tower as a freestanding block in the centre of the range and at the W the former stables/carriage house, which became the Home Farm steading. The architect for this final stage was Schomberg Scott, Edinburgh, 1961-65.
For purposes of listing, Gordon Castle has been divided into 4 items.
1. Mansion house with gatepiers and conservatory/orangery.
4. Home Farm Steading.