This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0342 / 56°2'3"N
Longitude: -3.4809 / 3°28'51"W
OS Eastings: 307822
OS Northings: 683355
OS Grid: NT078833
Mapcode National: GBR 1X.RXMP
Mapcode Global: WH5QY.HLNG
Plus Code: 9C8R2GM9+MM
Entry Name: Limekilns Parish Church, Church Street, Limekilns
Listing Name: Limekilns, Church Street, Limekilns Parish Church (Church of Scotland) and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 31 December 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332329
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1640
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Rosyth
Traditional County: Fife
1825. 2-storey, 3-bay classical church. Ashlar front; harled elsewhere. 2-storey Giant Order pilasters and full-width pediment to principal elevation. Raised dressings to openings, eaves course and vertical margins at arrises. Moulded raised dressings to base, band and eaves courses to principal elevation.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central replacement 2-leaf door; fanlight with oval cames; bracketed pediment. Single flanking windows; bracketed pediments; decorative, fluted consoles; flanking paired corniced pilasters. 3 1st floor windows centred above. Dominant moulded pediment.
W ELEVATION: door to right; 5 large round-headed ground and 1st floor windows.
N ELEVATION: single storey hall obscures ground floor. 2 round-headed stained glass windows to 1st floor of church; flanking 1st floor windows to outer bays. Two small windows in gable apex. Corniced, open stone bellcote at gable apex with single bell.
E ELEVATION: 5 large round-headed ground and 1st floor windows. Door to far left.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Raised skews; grey slate pitched roof.
INTERIOR: staircases in vestibule to left and right of main door lead to gallery. Doors to left and right lead into church; 3 sets of timber pews. Central communion table to N; timber communion table and raised pulpit with flanking steps. 2 round-headed stained glass windows flank communion table depicting Resurrection scenes. Gallery with timber frontage, supported on cast-iron columns hold 7 sets of pews. Cornice and central plaster ceiling rose. Walls painted in lime green; pews painted white.
Low rubble wall to front and sides; curved coping stones. Small entrance gate and steps to front; steps and gate to W lead to adjacent manse.
The church was built as a United Presbyterian Church upon the site of an earlier (1782) church. It was built to hold 1056 people (Groome). The bellcote was added by Hipolyte J Blanc, 1911, the Jacobean Renaissance pulpit was made by Mitchell & Kinghorn from an Ernest George & Peto design, 1883 and the windows were made by Lavers, Barraud & Westlake (Gifford). A brass plaque in the S wall states that the pulpit was donated by Sir Andrew Barclay Walker for his wife (b 1832- d 1882). There were choir pews to the E and W of the communion table which have been removed.
Other nearby listed buildings