This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0349 / 56°2'5"N
Longitude: -3.484 / 3°29'2"W
OS Eastings: 307629
OS Northings: 683443
OS Grid: NT076834
Mapcode National: GBR 1X.RWSK
Mapcode Global: WH5QY.GK5X
Plus Code: 9C8R2GM8+XC
Entry Name: The King's Cellar, 8 Academy Square, Limekilns
Listing Name: Limekilns, 8 Academy Square, the King's Cellar
Listing Date: 31 December 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332332
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1643
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Rosyth
Traditional County: Fife
Tagged with: Lime kiln
Early-mid 16th century; possibly incorporating material from 1362; later modifications. 2-storey storehouse. Large sandstone blocks; central pediment and forestair. Ashlar surrounds to openings.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central 1st floor timber boarded door; inserted pediment above with coat of arms and dated 1581; ball finial. Forestair to door. Ground floor window to right of door; chamfered surround. Blocked arrowslit to right of window. Pointed-arched window to left of stairs (former door). Single 1st floor windows flank door.
W ELEVATION: later (20th century) timber extension.
N ELEVATION: plain elevation. Elevation partially cut away to E (former turnpike stair).
E ELEVATION: blocked 1st floor pointed-arched window. Lower N half of E gable cut away for turnpike; skewputt with corbel to upper half of gable. Advanced corbelled base at 1st floor to former turnpike stair. Turnpike in concave NE angle; 1st floor door; raggles of stairs above.
INTERIOR: ground floor entrance at W gable, steps lead down into ground floor. Single room; barrel vaulted; plain interior; concrete floor. Blocked openings to S visible; arched door (now window); arched recess to right; 2 blocked windows to left of former door. Modern screen wall and door to E; blocked niche in E wall to left. Tongue and groove panelling in 1912 extension at W end and timber staircase leads to upper level. Pointed-arch doorway to 1st floor at W gable. Tall, single room; pointed barrel vaulted. 3 rooflights inserted into ceiling to N; arched window in E gable (now covered); arched fireplace in N wall (now covered). Advanced curve of turnpike in NE angle; doorway. Replacement timber floor; raised floor section to E.
Inserted and replacement windows; 4 fixed lower lights; 2 top hung upper lights. 3 rear rooflights. Pitched roof; grey slate laid in diminishing courses; raised skews; narrow parapet at eaves to front and rear. Tall stack to rear springs from wallhead.
The King's Cellar, despite its rather misleading name, serves as a reminder of Limekiln's early relationship with Dunfermline Abbey and of its trading position by the Firth of Forth. Limekilns operated as a port and The King's Cellar was probably built as a monk's grange, a storehouse for, most likely, Dunfermline Abbey. The building is first mentioned in 1362 but it is only in the 19th century that it is referred to as The King's Cellar. Despite its alterations, the King's Cellar is one of the most interesting buildings in Limekilns. The central door and upper floor windows were inserted when the building was used as a school, hence the name of the square. F W Deas undertook the restoration in 1911-1912 and added the present forestair which replaced a flight of timber steps , slated the roof and inserted the pediment. 18 inches of earth were removed from the ground floor during renovation, the level of which now lies beneath the current ground level. The outside ground level has risen enough to cover most of the pointed-arched doorway which was possibly the original entrance to the ground floor. A possible malt-kiln or glass furnace used for the manufacture of bottles was discovered during renovation at the W end of the building.
The remnants of the turnpike at the NE angle suggests at one time a higher floor or tower, possibly a beacon or lookout tower. Since the rooms are not connected to each other, it is possible that a forestair gave access to the 1st floor door at the W gable. The building has had a variety of uses including a wine cellar, storehouse, school, library, concert hall and an Episcopal church. In 1910 it was founded as a Freemason's Lodge, Lodge Elgin and Bruce, number 1077 on the Roll of the Grand Lodge of Scotland and this remains its current use. It belongs to the Broomhall Estate.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings