This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.4274 / 57°25'38"N
Longitude: -4.1276 / 4°7'39"W
OS Eastings: 272346
OS Northings: 839449
OS Grid: NH723394
Mapcode National: GBR J952.XQV
Mapcode Global: WH4GQ.KKPY
Plus Code: 9C9QCVGC+XX
Entry Name: Daviot Parish Church (Church of Scotland) and Burial Ground, Daviot
Listing Name: Daviot Parish Church of Scotland and Burial Ground
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332409
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1700
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Daviot and Dunlichity
Electoral Ward: Inverness South
Parish: Daviot And Dunlichity
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Dated 1826. Rectangular harled church, with tooled ashlar
margins and dressings. Tooled and polished ashlar tower at
Church orientated north/south, with roundheaded entrance and
similar gallery window in centre of north gable; double leaf
panelled door; apex ball finial. Long east and west
elevations dominated by centre Venetian window flanked by
long round-headed windows with intermediate buttressings
and small, later vestry window at SE; Crenellated wallhead
with stumpy angle pinnacles to east and west elevations;
ashlar angle margins; dated rainwater heads; slate roof.
Slender square, 5-storey tower abuts south gable; all tooled
and polished ashlar. Narrow door in base of tall ground floor
with small windows high in return gables, and stepped band
course from which rise 3 further, narrower stages, defined by
band courses and with round-headed or bull's eye lights. 4th
stage crowned with wide moulded cornice with angle ball
finials, from which narrow 5th storey rised, with square
louvred windows set in margined round-headed recesses in each
face, deep moulded cornice with stumpy angle pinnacles and
ashlar spire terminating in ball finialled gilded weather-
cock, from which the N, S, E, W, pointers are missing.
Interior; re-cast interior, lowered ceiling and west gallery,
new pews and fittings.
Burial Ground: roughly coped rubble walled burial ground
surrounds church; entrance flanked by simple square rubble
piers with shaped caps. 18th and 19th century tombs.
Building in ecclesiastical use as such. Daviot Parish joined
with Dunlichty in 1618. Church built at cost of $1,000 on
site of former church and free-standing bell tower, the
latter collapsed in 1865. Hillside site called Cnoc ant
Sagairt, the Priest's hill.