This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.438 / 57°26'16"N
Longitude: -4.1194 / 4°7'9"W
OS Eastings: 272873
OS Northings: 840612
OS Grid: NH728406
Mapcode National: GBR J962.1RG
Mapcode Global: WH4GQ.P9KT
Plus Code: 9C9QCVQJ+56
Entry Name: House Of Daviot
Listing Name: Daviot House (House of Daviot)
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332411
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1702
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Daviot and Dunlichity
Electoral Ward: Inverness South
Parish: Daviot And Dunlichity
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
1815-20, 2-storey and attic mansion over raised basement,
east facing 3 wide symmetrical bays to all elevation with
pronounced canted outer bays flanking east front entrance.
All coursed tooled, mixed pink and grey coursed granite
rubble, contrasting tooled and polished sandstone ashlar
dressings. Centre entrance with painted ashlar Roman Doric
columned portico; rectangular fanlight with decorative
radial glazing 9-panel door approached by splayed flight of
steps over-sailing raised basement with original decorative
cast-iron hand rail. Steps aligned to front-age by ashlar
bandcourse which encircles building between raised basement
and ground floor.
Large (raised) ground floor windows, 3 in canted bays
flanking entrance, the front being blind but glazed.
Tripartites in 1st floor of canted bays, with blind side
lights. Regular fenestration in return gables and at rear,
where some alteration and probably excavation has taken
place, opening up basement approach; garage door slapped
in basement and NW raised ground floor window masked by
corrugated iron covered way carried on bridge to link up with
later single-storey corrugated iron extension on rubble base.
Small piended dormer in front and 2 each north and south
sides; multi-pane glazing; moulded eaves cornices and
blocking course to front wallhead; piended platform slate
roof with centre pair long corniced ashlar flue batteries.
Interior; panelled dados, window shutters, and doors in all
principal ground floor rooms; moulded door pieces;
decorative plaster cornices; centre plaster roses; reeded
wood chimneypiece in front public room right of entrance
hall. Cantilevered staircase rises full height in centre rear
of house with castiron balusters with palmette detailing and
polished wooden handrail.
Built by Alexander Mackintosh of Mackintosh, "within the last
20 years" (1838), who had "taken up residence" by 1821.
East facing site at edge of steeply sloping valley to Nairn
River. Some vestiges of ruins of 15th c. Daviot Castle lies
just north of the house.
Other nearby listed buildings