This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.5656 / 57°33'56"N
Longitude: -4.5824 / 4°34'56"W
OS Eastings: 245626
OS Northings: 855777
OS Grid: NH456557
Mapcode National: GBR H81Q.RQ7
Mapcode Global: WH3DS.L33F
Plus Code: 9C9QHC89+72
Entry Name: Contin Church Of Scotland Parish Church
Listing Name: Contin Parish Church (Church of Scotland) and Burial Ground
Listing Date: 25 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332526
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1790
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Wester Ross, Strathpeffer and Lochalsh
Traditional County: Ross-shire
18th century plain rectangular church the walls of which
incorporate some late 15th century work; re-roofed 1775;
raised and altered, 1832; further alterations, re-cast and
repaired, 1908. Harled rubble, tooled ashlar margins.
2 symmetrical long windows rise to wallhead in centre of
south wall flanking projecting gabled Minister's room. Door
in right (east) outer bay; similar opening in west outer bay
blocked (1908) and small window inset; gallery windows (1832)
in each gable; multi-pane glazing, stained glass in west
gable window. Bellcote at west gable apex with pyramidal cap
and remains of weathervane.
Interior; simple interior; gallery stairs altered (1908)
revealing small medieval mural sacrament house in east corner
of north wall; pointed arched with wide moulded surround,
checked for door. In near centre of north wall segmental headed
recess for mural tomb (now masked by panelling).
Burial ground; coped rubble walled burial ground with 18th
and 19th century tombs.
Building in ecclesiastical use as such. Church dedicated to
St. Maelrubba and probably founded by him in late 7th or
early 8th century. A former church burnt down circa 1482-8.
Remodelled and roof raised 8' in 1832; east and west
galleries inserted, doors and windows slapped and Minister's
porch added. Sacrament house covered by new gallery stairs,
but revealed again in 1908 when gallery stair altered and
church recast. Sacrament House measures approximately 3' x
2'6" overall, 1'4" deep. Church, Manse and offices situated
on an island site surrounded by 2 arms of the River Black
Other nearby listed buildings