This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8286 / 55°49'43"N
Longitude: -2.1314 / 2°7'53"W
OS Eastings: 391864
OS Northings: 659497
OS Grid: NT918594
Mapcode National: GBR F1K1.BF
Mapcode Global: WH9Y3.7R9K
Plus Code: 9C7VRVH9+FC
Entry Name: Prenderguest
Listing Name: Prenderguest Farmhouse Including Walled Garden, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 9 June 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332793
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1991
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Tagged with: Building
18th century in part with substantial 19th and 20th century additions and alterations. Symmetrical 2-storey, 5-bay, classically-detailed farmhouse slightly advanced at centre, with full-height wing at rear forming L-plan; further single storey with attic, 3-bay range recessed to right with single storey linking passage and rear additions. Sandstone ashlar to front main block; rendered side and rear elevations; rendered side wing and rear additions. Base course; corniced eaves; blocking course. Rusticated quoins; architraved margins to front. Side range with base course; cill course at upper floor.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: round-arched entrance recessed at centre with step to timber panelled door; classical surround comprising engaged columns surmounted by carved busts, decorative frieze, cornice; original round-arched fanlight in tympanum; flanking side-lights. Venetian window centred at 1st floor. Single windows at both floors in remaining bays slightly recessed to left and right. Lower 3-bay wing recessed to right with single windows in all bays at ground; squat attic lights aligned above; single window in single storey link adjoined to left.
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 3-bay at ground; 4-bay at 1st floor. Single windows at both floors in 2 bays to right of centre (blocked at 1st floor to left). 2-light canted window corbelled to square at 1st floor in bay to left. Canted windows at both floors in bay to outer left.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: original block with single storey, lean-to addition at ground; single windows at both floors above; full-height wing projecting to outer right with single openings at ground; single window at 1st floor off-set to left of centre. Lower service wing adjoined to outer left with bipartite window in single storey piended projection to front.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: original 2-bay block recessed to left with single windows at both floors in bay to outer left; blocked openings at both floors to right; small window at 1st floor in bay to outer right. Projecting service wing adjoined to right with single window at ground off-set to right of centre; gabled window breaking eaves; single storey block to outer right.
Predominantly 8-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; some plate glass and 12-pane sash and case windows; small rooflights. Grey slate piended roofs; sandstone ridging. Corniced, brick-built wallhead stacks; various cans.
INTERIOR: entrance hall comprising timber panelled doors; pilastered surrounds to side-lights; decorative plasterwork and ceiling rose; timber dado rail. Main dog-leg stair with sandstone treads, plain uprights, timber handrail. Remainder not seen 1998.
WALLED GARDEN: irregular-plan, 5-sided rubble-walled garden to W with single storey, 4-bay, rectangular-plan ancillary structure adjoining outer elevation NE wall.
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble walls partially enclosing site.
GATEPIERS AND GATES: square-plan, rusticated sandstone ashlar piers flanking main entrance to NE; corniced, ball-finialled caps; plain, 2-leaf iron gates and outer railings.
An imposing, well-detailed classical farmhouse which, although extended, retains the majority of its original features. According to THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, completed in 1834, "...the mansion-house of Prenderguest is an excellent modern building. It has been occupied by the present tenant for about thirty years." Rutherfurd notes a Mr William Inglis as farmer here in 1866. As is the case at the nearby Whiterig Farm (see separate list entry), there were originally 2 houses on site - this 'mansion' house and a separate farmhouse which was demolished and never rebuilt.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.