This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8285 / 55°49'42"N
Longitude: -2.1331 / 2°7'59"W
OS Eastings: 391757
OS Northings: 659482
OS Grid: NT917594
Mapcode National: GBR F1J1.ZH
Mapcode Global: WH9Y3.6RGN
Plus Code: 9C7VRVH8+CP
Entry Name: Walled Garden, Prenderguest
Listing Name: Prenderguest Farmhouse Including Walled Garden, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 9 June 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332794
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1991
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
18th century in part with substantial 19th and 20th century additions and alterations. Symmetrical 2-storey, 5-bay, classically-detailed farmhouse slightly advanced at centre, with full-height wing at rear forming L-plan; further single storey with attic, 3-bay range recessed to right with single storey linking passage and rear additions. Sandstone ashlar to front main block; rendered side and rear elevations; rendered side wing and rear additions. Base course; corniced eaves; blocking course. Rusticated quoins; architraved margins to front. Side range with base course; cill course at upper floor.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: round-arched entrance recessed at centre with step to timber panelled door; classical surround comprising engaged columns surmounted by carved busts, decorative frieze, cornice; original round-arched fanlight in tympanum; flanking side-lights. Venetian window centred at 1st floor. Single windows at both floors in remaining bays slightly recessed to left and right. Lower 3-bay wing recessed to right with single windows in all bays at ground; squat attic lights aligned above; single window in single storey link adjoined to left.
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 3-bay at ground; 4-bay at 1st floor. Single windows at both floors in 2 bays to right of centre (blocked at 1st floor to left). 2-light canted window corbelled to square at 1st floor in bay to left. Canted windows at both floors in bay to outer left.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: original block with single storey, lean-to addition at ground; single windows at both floors above; full-height wing projecting to outer right with single openings at ground; single window at 1st floor off-set to left of centre. Lower service wing adjoined to outer left with bipartite window in single storey piended projection to front.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: original 2-bay block recessed to left with single windows at both floors in bay to outer left; blocked openings at both floors to right; small window at 1st floor in bay to outer right. Projecting service wing adjoined to right with single window at ground off-set to right of centre; gabled window breaking eaves; single storey block to outer right.
Predominantly 8-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; some plate glass and 12-pane sash and case windows; small rooflights. Grey slate piended roofs; sandstone ridging. Corniced, brick-built wallhead stacks; various cans.
INTERIOR: entrance hall comprising timber panelled doors; pilastered surrounds to side-lights; decorative plasterwork and ceiling rose; timber dado rail. Main dog-leg stair with sandstone treads, plain uprights, timber handrail. Remainder not seen 1998.
WALLED GARDEN: irregular-plan, 5-sided rubble-walled garden to W with single storey, 4-bay, rectangular-plan ancillary structure adjoining outer elevation NE wall.
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble walls partially enclosing site.
GATEPIERS AND GATES: square-plan, rusticated sandstone ashlar piers flanking main entrance to NE; corniced, ball-finialled caps; plain, 2-leaf iron gates and outer railings.
An imposing, well-detailed classical farmhouse which, although extended, retains the majority of its original features. According to THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, completed in 1834, "...the mansion-house of Prenderguest is an excellent modern building. It has been occupied by the present tenant for about thirty years." Rutherfurd notes a Mr William Inglis as farmer here in 1866. As is the case at the nearby Whiterig Farm (see separate list entry), there were originally 2 houses on site - this 'mansion' house and a separate farmhouse which was demolished and never rebuilt.