History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gordonstoun House

A Category A Listed Building in Heldon and Laich, Moray

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 57.7033 / 57°42'11"N

Longitude: -3.3702 / 3°22'12"W

OS Eastings: 318440

OS Northings: 868988

OS Grid: NJ184689

Mapcode National: GBR L81C.8XH

Mapcode Global: WH6J0.6MDY

Plus Code: 9C9RPJ3H+8W

Entry Name: Gordonstoun House

Listing Name: Gordonstoun House, Adjoining Garden Walls and Water Tower

Listing Date: 26 January 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333121

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2239

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Drainie

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Heldon and Laich

Parish: Drainie

Traditional County: Morayshire

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in


Mansion with 16th century core; re-built 1st Marquis Huntly,

1616. N elevation re-faced with extensive symmetrical re-

fenestration and other external alterations circa 1730;

further alterations during 19th century and after fire 1940.

Extensive repairs 1945 and (balustrade) 1979. 3-storey, 8-bay

central block, circa 1730 with earlier core, flanked by 2-

storey and attic 4-bay wings also incorporating earlier work.

Polished ashlar N facade; harl pointed rubble elsewhere with

ashlar dressings.

N ELEVATION: low ground floor with small windows in centre

block; band course between ground and 1st floor; ashlar

quoins. Lugged architrave to centre door; classical doorpiece

dated 1730 with paired engaged Corinthian columns on plinths

supporting entablature and modillioned pediment. Secondary

entrance extreme right under reset coat of arms of Sir Robert

Gordon (1580-1656).

WINGS: 17th century corbelled conical roofed bartizans at

each angle. Mid-17th century coat of arms of Nova Scotia

inserted in 1st floor, W gable; mid-19th century gabletted


SOUTH ELEVATION: similar to N front but wings project forming

shallow U-plan; centre door with moulded lugged architrave

and rectangular vent above. Masonry scars, blocked windows at

ground floor and remains of vaulting all indicate unfinished alterations. 2 small oval windows, one in each outer bay,

between 1st and 2nd floors. Single gabletted dormer and

single scroll skewputt to each wing. Multi-pane glazing

throughout. Moulded corniced stacks to balustraded and flat

roofed main block; slate roof with stone ridge to wings.

INTERIOR: barrel vaulted passage runs full length of ground

floor; main rooms of centre block left unfinished after 1730 alterations, and refurbished during earlier/mid 19th century;

and again after fire circa 1945. Entrance hall panelled with

panelling re-used from former Drainie parish chruch (1821,

Gillespie Graham arch. dem.). Cantilevered stair with

wrought-iron balustrade from ground to 1st floor; some

corniced ceilings in flanking wings; re-used ashlar doorpiece

at 1st floor with owl in pediment.

ADJOINING GARDEN WALLS: high coped flanking garden walls

extend each side from wings, each with entrance close to

house decorated with re-used pediments, and at left with re-

used overmantel dated 1679.

WATER TOWER: mid 18th century, small freestanding water

tower with round-headed door in W side. Rubble with ashlar

dressings and band course; pyramidal slate roof with stone

ball finial and weather vane. Re-built projecting length of

wall at W.

Statement of Interest

Known as Bog of Plewlands until changed to Gordonstoun

1642 by Sir Robert Gordon of Gordonstoun. Owned by Ogstouns

during 15th century; Innes' of Innermarkie and Innes 1473-

1616; George, Marquis of Huntly 1616-1638. Purchased by Sir

Robert Gordon, 'Tutor' of Sutherland, 1638. Passed to Cumming

Gordon (later Gordon Cumming) family of Altyre, Forres, 1795.

Became Gordonstoun School 1934. Damaged by fire in 1940.

Mansarded 4th storey behind balustrade never re-built

after this fire. Re-used overmantel dated 1679 in garden wall

said to have come from one of the demolished Elgin Cathedral


External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.