This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.5984 / 57°35'54"N
Longitude: -3.7089 / 3°42'32"W
OS Eastings: 297959
OS Northings: 857775
OS Grid: NH979577
Mapcode National: GBR K86M.XDM
Mapcode Global: WH5H9.083T
Entry Name: Brodie Castle
Listing Date: 26 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333145
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2260
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Dyke and Moy
Electoral Ward: Forres
Parish: Dyke And Moy
Traditional County: Morayshire
Tower-house with Scottish Baronial alterations and additions. Substantial mansion dating variously from 1567 to 1852. Additions of 1824 by William Burn, completed by James Wylson, circa 1840-1852. Restored 1978-80. Mainly 3-storeys, roughly L-plan incorporating original 16th century Z-plan tower.
Harled with ashlar margins and dressings.
Main S elevation incorporates at W 1567 tower house with earlier 17th century addition; cap-house, crenellated corbelled wallhead, water spouts and decorative gablets to dormer windows. Entrance in re-entrant angle with projecting stair turret rising from 1st floor terminating with slender conical roof.
Gabled E portion of 1824-52 with wide 5-bay return E garden front with projecting outer gables. Hoodmoulded, mullioned and transomed fenestration, canted windows, shaped and crowstepped gables. 5-bay single storey and attic wing with similar fenestration extends at right angles at NE. Varied glazing; coped end, wallhead and ridge stacks; slate roof.
INTERIOR: entrance hall, James Wylson, circa 1845 adaption of earlier vaulted undercroft; stumpy (circa 1845) columns with foliated capitals; re-set inscribed stone plaques.
LIBRARY: circa 1845, lined with wooden bookcases under continuous egg and dart frieze.
BLUE SITTING ROOM: vaulted ceiling with embossed plaster motifs and strapwork of 1635-40.
RED DRAWING ROOM: originally 1st floor hall of 1567 castle re-decorated 1820's by William Burn; groined plaster ceiling; ornate panelled chimneypiece with carved figures rising to ceiling height.
DINING ROOM: former 1st floor hall of 17th century wing. Late 17th century heavily embossed ceiling, grained and stained circa 1825. Panelling and doors also grained.
DRAWING ROOM: William Burn, 1824 with painted decoration on architraves, over-doors and ceiling probably dating from 1860's (restored 1982).
BEST BED CHAMBER: 17th century plaster ceiling frieze and corner motifs.
1567 castle built by Alexander Brodie, 12th Brodie of Brodie, descended from Malcolm, Thane of Brodie (d.1285). Castle continuously in possession of Brodie family until handed over to National Trust for Scotland, by Ninian, 25th Brodie, in 1980 after purchase through Land Fund by SDD.
Celtic stone with cross and interlacing patterns, sited at E entrance of park, a Scheduled Monument (Rodney's Stone).
Other nearby listed buildings