This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.6993 / 57°41'57"N
Longitude: -3.3967 / 3°23'48"W
OS Eastings: 316851
OS Northings: 868581
OS Grid: NJ168685
Mapcode National: GBR K8ZC.NRQ
Mapcode Global: WH6HZ.SQQZ
Plus Code: 9C9RMJX3+P8
Entry Name: Parish Church, Duffus Village
Listing Name: Duffus Village, Parish Church (Church of Scotland)
Listing Date: 25 April 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 333181
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2290
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Heldon and Laich
Traditional County: Morayshire
Alexander Reid (A and W Reid), 1868-9 (dated 1868). Gothic
rectangular church with long 4-play elevations N and S and
and advanced porch under spire at SW. Rubble, tooled and
polished ashlar dressings. Projecting square porch at SW
rising as octagonal louvred belfry with Gothic detailing
under tapering octagonal spire terminating in decorative cast-
iron weathervane. Recessed pointed-headed entrance with
flanking nook-shafts and double leaf door with ornate cast-
Buttressed S elevation lit by 3 paired narrow lancet
hoodmoulded windows; similar fenestration in N elevation.
Pair pointed-headed windows with geometric tracery light
E gable; large wheel window in centre of W gable; lattice-
pane glazing. Dated rainwater goods; steeply pitched slate
roof with apex cross finials.
INTERIOR: simple interior with pine dado, pews and decorative
pine panelled W gallery front. Raised square pulpit at E end
with cusped detailing to front and organ at rear.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Church constructed to replace the Peterkirk, the old parish
church. Lady Dunbar of Duffus House, an artist, took a great
interest in the design. The spire was added, and paid for,
by Dr D Brander, the Minister, to mark his fortieth year
as Minister of the Parish (he served from 1828-1880).
War Memorial (1914-18) and 1939-45 sited in front of church.
Other nearby listed buildings