History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Newton House, Gatepiers and Walled Garden

A Category B Listed Building in Alves, Moray

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.6533 / 57°39'11"N

Longitude: -3.4044 / 3°24'15"W

OS Eastings: 316288

OS Northings: 863466

OS Grid: NJ162634

Mapcode National: GBR K8YH.K84

Mapcode Global: WH6J5.PW2S

Entry Name: Newton House, Gatepiers and Walled Garden

Listing Date: 25 April 1989

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333225

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2327

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Alves

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Heldon and Laich

Parish: Alves

Traditional County: Morayshire

Find accommodation in
Crook of Alves

Description

Dated 1793 and 1852. Additions and alterations with some
internal remodelling, Thomas Mackenzie, 1852. Tall
2-storey and attic house over raised basement (3-storey,
U-plan rear), 5-bays, S facing. Harled with tooled and
polished ashlar margins and dressings. Plain late 18th
century house with 1852 embellishments, particularly to
upper storey. Advanced and gabled centre bay with 1852
porch approached by flight of steps oversailing raised
basement; pilastered and corniced entrance with florid
Jacobean detailing, lunette and banded obelisk finials;
tall canted 1st floor window above. Plain chamfered
margins to ground and 1st floor windows; carved and
monogrammed pediments to 1852 dormers; corbelled angle
bartizans with conical bellcast fishscale slated roofs;
moulded corbel and string courses; decorative water spouts.
Projecting wing set back at E with raised ground floor
canted oriel with corbelled base decorated with masks
and with corbelled stone roof.
2 rear wings project to form U-plan service court.
Mainly 4-pane glazing. Crowstepped gables; end batteries
of coped stacks with diamond flues; slate roofs. Small
sun porch (circa 1975) at W of house.
INTERIOR- entrance hall re-modelled by Thomas Mackenzie
1852 with arcaded and columned screen, rounded-headed
niches and deep mouldings. Curved 1793 cantilevered
staircase rises full-height with plain balusters and
moulded risers.
DRAWING ROOM: 1852 marble chimneypiece, ceiling cornice
and doorway, flanked by glazed wall cupboards, linking
back sitting room.
DINING ROOM: black marble chimneypiece; simple panelled
dado and mouljded ceiling cornice.
1st FLOOR: some evidence of remodelling of former 1st
floor drawing-room area; 18th century fielded panelled
doors survive in 1st floor.
GATEPIERS (MAIN ENTRANCE): pair plain square ashlar
gatepiers with pulvinated string course, moulded cornice
and ball finials.
WALLED GARDEN: circa 1800 walled garden extends to N of
house; coped rubble walls.

Statement of Interest

Newton House built by George Forteath in 1793; it passed

to his nephew Alexander Williamson (who took the name

of Forteath) in 1815. Alexander Forteath was factor for

the Trustees of the Earl of Fife's estates and took an

active role in the public life of Moray. The property

remained in the Forteath family until the 1930s.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.