History in Structure

Dovecot, Kellie Castle

A Category A Listed Building in Carnbee, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.2372 / 56°14'14"N

Longitude: -2.7755 / 2°46'31"W

OS Eastings: 352025

OS Northings: 705235

OS Grid: NO520052

Mapcode National: GBR 2S.C0D4

Mapcode Global: WH7SL.BHKB

Plus Code: 9C8V66PF+VQ

Entry Name: Dovecot, Kellie Castle

Listing Name: Kellie Castle Stable Courtyard and Walled Garden

Listing Date: 1 March 1984

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333457

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2519

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200333457

Location: Carnbee

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: East Neuk and Landward

Parish: Carnbee

Traditional County: Fife

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


Built from 14th century onwards. North Tower: rectangular
tower possibly built on foundation of 14th century tower,
mainly now late 15th or early 16th century with top storey
and turrets of late 16th century, conical roofs of these
turrets now cut back and enclosed under main roof, vaulted
ground floor, 4 storeys above. East Tower: dated 1573 with
initials MH (Margaret Hay), originally linked to north tower
only by a passage, top storey added 17th century, L-plan with
turnpike stair in north wing, from 3rd floor to 4th floor in
re-entrant angle corbelled above a bridging arch. L-plan
linking building between 1573 and 1606 (dormer heads dated
1606), includes south tower, and long 3 storey, 4 bay range
housing public rooms with decorative dormer heads (one
renewed 1724), entrance in re-entrant angle with corbelled
turnpike stair above. Conical roofed corbelled angle turrets
at 4th floor. Additional entrance to vaulted hall on west,
with false gable corbelled over 3rd floor. North elevation
with additional stair and other projections. The whole
restored by Professor Lorimer 1878. All built of squared
rubble. All gables crowstepped. Coped chimney stack, some
diamond shafts. Windows all sash and case, glazing dating
from restoration. Interior: several vaulted ground floor
rooms; main stair (possibly late 17th/early 18th century) in
south west tower, with fretted balusters, leads to the Hall,
now Drawing Room, with circa 1660 panelling and some 18th
century panelling, chimney piece in style of Robert Adam at
east; With - Drawing Room, now Dining Room circa 1660 with
interesting painted panelling of 18th century date; the
Library 1st floor East tower, plaster ribbed ceiling dated
1617; Vine Room, (above Dining Room) and Earl's Room with
good 17th century plaster ceilings, (one dated 1676) the
former with circular painting by De Wet. Many other
interesting internal details. Dovecot inserted in south wall
of low office and stable courtyard. Walled garden, with
garden house at north west by Robert Lorimer, who laid out the

Statement of Interest

In the possession of the National Trust.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.