History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Crawford Priory Former Stable Block

A Category B Listed Building in Cupar, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.2913 / 56°17'28"N

Longitude: -3.0531 / 3°3'11"W

OS Eastings: 334915

OS Northings: 711482

OS Grid: NO349114

Mapcode National: GBR 2F.7Q16

Mapcode Global: WH7S8.24FB

Entry Name: Crawford Priory Former Stable Block

Listing Date: 1 March 1984

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333514

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2569

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Cults

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Cupar

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Pitlessie

Description

Built 1871. Symmetrically planned large 1 and 2-storey stable block with baronial detailing built round rectangular courtyard. Snecked and stugged ashlar with ashlar dressings. South elevation: wide advanced bay in centre with segmentally-arched pend, horse head keystone, panelled spandrels, tripartite above and crowstepped gable with blind oculus and diminutive angle turrets. Central block flanked by 7-bays wings 2-1 - 3-1, the single bays advanced with hood-moulded windows and crowstepped gables, 2-bay section 2-storey, 3-bay single storey. Wings return round courtyard, mostly single storey, some with lofts: courtyard

elevation of west block has series of carriage arches mostly segmental- headed: east block has series of stables, doors and windows to courtyard, gabled wall-head dormers to east elevation, and gableted and pinnacled axial roof vents. North block has 3 2-storey central bays (2 gabled) with 3 blocked segmental-headed carriageways to courtyard. Some

bracketed roof gutters: gableted, crowstepped gables, corniced bow-ended axial stacks and slate roof. Interior mostly intact.

Statement of Interest

NMRS index notes that William Little, Kirkcaldy and Rodolph Fielding, architects, were employed at Crawford Priory 1870-72, so probably one of these designed the stables.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.