History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cults Church, Cemetery Walls Gatepiers and Sessionhouse

A Category B Listed Building in Cupar, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.277 / 56°16'37"N

Longitude: -3.0563 / 3°3'22"W

OS Eastings: 334692

OS Northings: 709891

OS Grid: NO346098

Mapcode National: GBR 2F.8HBJ

Mapcode Global: WH7S8.0HXB

Entry Name: Cults Church, Cemetery Walls Gatepiers and Sessionhouse

Listing Date: 1 March 1984

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 333522

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB2577

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Cults

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Cupar

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Pitlessie

Description

Built 1793. Simple rectangular-plan church with 3-stage square tower centrally placed against west gable. Rubble-built (droved and squared on south wall) with ashlar margins. Tower has forestair leading to door at gallery level: lit by single inserted oculus and capped by (probably re-used ball-finialed, decorative birdcage bellcote. South elevation:

2 large altered round-headed windows (one with 1957 leaded glass panel) to inner bays, doors and gallery windows to outer bays. North elevation has single central window; window at each level in outer bays. Doors are studded, with decorative hinges; straight skews, and slate roof.

INTERIOR: (partly altred 1835) 18th century panelled octagonal pulpit has pilastered and pedimented rear screen. Panelled box pews; doors have decorative iron latches. Gallery on 3 walls supported on wooden columns: panelled front, with clock (presented 1843). Pulpit flanked by marble monuments; that to left of Sir David Wilkie RA by Samuel Joseph, 1844, that to right of Rev David Wilkie (father of above) by Sir Francis Chantrey RA 1812. Rubble-built cemetery walls enclose some interesting 17th, 18th, and 19th century tombstones: square gatepiers; rubble-

built session house at entrance to churchyard has door below lamp bracket in south gable, single window in west wall with spun glass panels, single stack and pantile roof.

Statement of Interest

B Group with manse and dovecote. Ecclesiastical building in use.

Scheme proposing insertion of Gothic windows (1873) not carried out (copies of drawings in SNMR).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.