This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0445 / 57°2'40"N
Longitude: -2.7182 / 2°43'5"W
OS Eastings: 356523
OS Northings: 795052
OS Grid: NO565950
Mapcode National: GBR WT.B9KQ
Mapcode Global: WH7NR.66WG
Plus Code: 9C9V27VJ+QP
Entry Name: Bogieshiel Lodge, Ballogie House
Listing Name: Bogieshiel Lodge
Listing Date: 25 November 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334068
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3087
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banchory and Mid Deeside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Late 18th century. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay lodge with early 19th century additions and alterations. Harled to S and E Elevations; granite rubble with long and short dressings to N and W Elevations. Base course.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3-bay with 3-bay addition to N. Gableted timber porch on rusticated timber columns advanced to centre of ground floor; panelled timber door with 2-pane fanlight; window to flanking bays to left and right, regular fenestration to 1st floor. 3 bays slightly stepped down and recessed to outer right, granite margins to regularly placed windows. Single storey out-building adjoining to far right.
S ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 2-storey 3-bay 18th century block, small window to centre of ground floor, window to 1st floor, regular fenestration to flanking bay to left, 2 modern skylights to attic floor, single storey coped wall adjoining to outer left; bay to right obscured by bowed, advanced 2-bay early 19th century addition, 2 pointed-arched windows with basket tracery to ground floor, regular fenestration to 1st floor, irregular fenestration to left return, modern skylights to attic.
N ELEVATION: house obscured by adjoining 5-bay outbuilding. Broad sliding boarded timber door to centre, flanked to right by 2-leaf door, and to left by boarded timber door with glazed panel, surmounted by piend-roofed rectangular dormer breaking eaves; window to outer right; advanced piend-roofed bay to outer left, with 2-leaf boarded timber doors. Interior: swept-down timber stall divisions survive to room to right.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3-bay with out-building adjoining to outer left. Advanced gabled bay to right with small coped walled enclosure advanced to ground floor, window off-centre to left of ground and 1st floors. Modern panelled timber door to flanking bay to left, with small-pane glazed panels to left and right, window to 1st floor above; small window to ground floor of bay to left, window to 1st floor. Recessed bay to outer left adjoining out-building, small-paned glazed timber door flanked by glazed panels to ground floor, window to 1st floor. Single storey out-building advanced to far left, 2 boarded timber doors to right return.
Variety of timber sash and case windows. Grey and purple-grey slate roofs with tiled and lead ridges. Coped wallhead, gablehead and ridge stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
The Ballogie Estate was, in 1650, called Tillysnaught, and belonged to the Roses of Kilravock. It then passed to the Forbes family, followed by the Innes family and their relatives the Farquharsons. When the Innes family of Ballogie and Balnacraig died out the Farquharsons took on their name, becoming Farquharson-Innes. In 1850 the estate was sold to Mr James Dyce Nicol, a former MP for Kincardineshire. He was described as "a progressive landowner, spending large sums of money on his properties". Bogieshiel Lodge, formerly Upper Bogieshiel, is situated on a hillside overlooking much of the Ballogie estate. Although originally traditional in style, the addition of the bowed bay to the S with gothic windows is unusual on the estate.
Other nearby listed buildings