History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Applegarth Parish Church, Jardine Burial Enclosure and Churchyard Walls and Gatepiers

A Category B Listed Building in Annandale North, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.1449 / 55°8'41"N

Longitude: -3.4066 / 3°24'23"W

OS Eastings: 310442

OS Northings: 584300

OS Grid: NY104843

Mapcode National: GBR 48NY.8H

Mapcode Global: WH6XC.NY06

Entry Name: Applegarth Parish Church, Jardine Burial Enclosure and Churchyard Walls and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 3 August 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 334343

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3329

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Applegarth

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Annandale North

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Find accommodation in
Lochmaben

Description

Built circa 1760. Picturesquely-sited T-plan Gothic church
remodelled and raised 3/4 masonry courses circa 1900, style
of James Barbour of Dumfries. Circa 1689 square-plan Jardine
Burial enclosure at E end of S wall has good classical
detailing. All rubble-built with ashlar dressings; mostly
whitewashed, CHURCH: most openings hood-moulded with exposed
long and short worked dressings; shallow gabled porch
centrally placed on each gable, traceried circular window on
E and W gables, other windows pointed; forestair to laird's
loft in E re-entrant angle of jamb. Gabletted skewputts;
saw-toothed skews; belfry over W gable. Roofed with graded
slates. Interior: essentially circa 1900, including laird's
loft in N jamb; pulpit central on long S wall between 2 World
War I memorial windows; continuous string course stepped as
hood-mould over openings; open timbered roof.
JARDINE BURIAL ENCLOSURE: continuous eaves course, cornice
and blocking course, doorway central on S wall, lugged
architrave and broken pediment with crest in tympanum;
similarly treated pediment to pilastered (capitals not
executed) monument against W wall, latter with large
supporting scrolled brackets. Table tomb nearby.
CHURCHYARD: roughly quadrangular area (extended to N late
19th century) enclosed by ashlar-coped rubble-built walls,
rusticated square gatepiers to S gate and to both gates on E
wall; gate on E wall nearest church is late 17th/mid 18th
century with good cornices with ogee caps (?formerly
ball-finialed). Mostly 18th and 19th century stone monuments,
many with good classical ornament, some will sculptured
figures; Egypto-Greek Jardine monument at SW end of
churchyard possibly by Walter Newall.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Detached cemetery

enclosure to N not included in listing. NSA states that walls

were "stoothed" (plastered) in 1822, and laird's gallery

built 1808.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.