This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9849 / 54°59'5"N
Longitude: -3.3452 / 3°20'42"W
OS Eastings: 314012
OS Northings: 566417
OS Grid: NY140664
Mapcode National: GBR 5B2S.KV
Mapcode Global: WH6Y5.LY7W
Plus Code: 9C6RXMM3+XW
Entry Name: Cummertrees Parish Church
Listing Name: Cummertrees Village, Cummertrees Parish Church with Churchyard and Lych Gate
Listing Date: 3 August 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334630
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3554
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Annandale South
Traditional County: Dumfriesshire
1777 church (dated) enclosed by churchyard with war memorial
CHURCH: T-plan, with round-headed windows (N jamb perhaps not
original); alterations circa 1877 possibly by John Starforth,
including canted stair turret, buttresses and belfry at N
gable (these built of red rubble with ashlar dressings); 20th
century vestry adjoins E gable. Church rendered as ashlar,
with red ashlar margins and dressings; 4-bay long S wall bolection-moulded wide doorway (presumably from previous
church) in W gable, E door (enclosed by vestry) with
rusticated surround and dated keystone.
Angle buttresses with tall flat-topped pinnacles, birdcage
belfry on rusticated base and with stepped cap. Straight
skews throughout and finials; slate roofs.
Interior: gallery at N supported on 2 cast-iron clustered
columns with arcaded panelled front. Gothic-panelled oak
pulpit and communion table both probably early 20th century.
CHURCHYARD: quadrangular area enclosed by ashlar-coped
rubble-built walls, gabled hearse house adjoins at corner.
Early 19th century castellated gothic Kelhead burial
enclosure to E of church; Unroofed, red ashlar, with iron
"yett", blocked openings, apex of 17th century dormer head
incorporated, plain marble memorial panels on W wall (some of
family re-interred at Kinmount): otherwise mostly 18th-20th
century stone monuments.
LYCH-GATE: oak, with cusped framing and red tile roof; seats
18th century - rendering precludes fuller analysis of fabric. Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Pewter from Ruthwell
parish church in vestry.
Some walling may be contemporary with W door, viz 17th/early
Change of Category B to C(S) 30.9.87
Other nearby listed buildings