This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0526 / 56°3'9"N
Longitude: -3.3063 / 3°18'22"W
OS Eastings: 318738
OS Northings: 685182
OS Grid: NT187851
Mapcode National: GBR 24.QM4W
Mapcode Global: WH6S5.54VC
Plus Code: 9C8R3M3V+2F
Entry Name: 6 Sands Place, Aberdour
Listing Name: Aberdour, 6 Sands Place, High Street,countess of Moray
Listing Date: 19 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334713
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3593
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Aberdour (Fife)
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Parish: Aberdour (Fife)
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1713, with later alterations, renovated 1995. 2-storey, 4-bay, rectangular-plan forestaired house. Rendered, dressed and chamfered stone surrounds.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical arrangement. 1st floor entrance door at 3rd bay; moulded stone surround, lintel dated 1713 with recessed oblong panel. Coped stone forestair with rendered sides, modern iron railings. Stair flanked at ground floor left by inserted small window, large window to further left (formerly a door), to right large window flush with stair (formerly a door), to far right rendered outshot. 2 evenly spaced 1st floor windows to left of main door, window to far right.
N ELEVATION: plain gable wall facing street.
E ELEVATION: asymmetrical window arrangement; large windows to left and right, inserted offset central narrow window to ground floor. 3 evenly spaced windows to 1st floor. Exposed stonework below ground floor cill level, ground rising to S.
SE ELEVATION: plain gable wall. Lean-to to left; window close to eaves, door to E.
2-leaf timber boarded door; replacement 8 and 12-pane timber sash and case windows with horns. Raised coped skews to gables. Pitched slate roof. Replacement coped, rendered gable apex stacks, circular clay cans. Outshot; flat coped skews, red clay pantiles.
INTERIOR: modernised interior to house. Blocked door leading from outshot to house.
NOTES: 6 Sands Place is one of only a few traditional forestaired houses remaining in Aberdour. It was built under orders of Anne, Countess of Moray to be used as an alms house for 4 aged/infirm widows of the Moray estate. The Earl of Moray and the Clerks to the Signet decided upon whom should reside at the alms house. Its use as an abode for a number of people is highlighted by the fact that there were various openings to the ground floor, the original interior was most likely split into a number of dwelling rooms accessed by the various doors. At the end of the last century a new almshouse was built nearby. 6 Sands place was sold to Dunfermline Council who used it as a coal store. The building became derilict and at some point during the 20th century the interior was completely gutted. In 1995 the building underwent a major renovation, including the re-instatement of the chimney stacks and refenestration. It is now used as a single dwelling house, however its name "The Countess of Moray" alludes to its past history. To the south of the house is a lectern style dovecot of the late 17th /early 18th century, (see separate list). The relationship between house and dovecot is slightly unclear.
Other nearby listed buildings