This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0525 / 56°3'8"N
Longitude: -3.3062 / 3°18'22"W
OS Eastings: 318742
OS Northings: 685172
OS Grid: NT187851
Mapcode National: GBR 24.QM60
Mapcode Global: WH6S5.54WF
Plus Code: 9C8R3M2V+XG
Entry Name: Dovecot, 6 Sands Place, Aberdour
Listing Name: Aberdour, Wester Aberdour Dovecot
Listing Date: 19 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334714
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3594
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Aberdour (Fife)
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Parish: Aberdour (Fife)
Traditional County: Fife
Late 17th to early 18th century. Square-plan lectern dovecot. Random rubble, harled in places, dressed quoins. Stepped stone rat course/alighting ledge in parts Entrance to SW buried in land slip to below central stone door lintel, renovated relieving arch above. Remnants of rat course/alighting ledge in parts. Plain NW and SE walls with stepped rat course/alighting ledge. Square opening to left of NE elevation. Crowstepped gables, partially moulded skewputt to NW elevation, formerly pantiled lean-to roof, now roofless, (2002). Interior infilled with land slip and vegetation.
NOTES: Aberdour and surrounding lands is divided between the old feudal estates of the Earls of Morton (Easter Aberdour) and the Earls of Moray (Wester Aberdour). It is one of 3 dovecots within the village, several others being found outside the village in the parish (see separate listings). The dovecots throughout the parish served the Moray and Morton estates, not only acting as valuable sources of meat and manure but also as visible symbols of the wealth and status of the landowners (after 1617 only landowners who had considerable lands were permitted to build dovecots). The dovecot is situated within the grounds of 6 Sands Place (see separate listing), a former alms house set up by the Countess of Moray in 1712. The proximity of the dovecot to 6 Sands Place suggests some form of relationship, it is possible that the residents would have had the task of maintaining the dovecot. Despite its ruinous appearance and being setback from the main road the dovecot is an important visual landmark along the High Street. In 1979 when the dovecot was previously surveyed it was said to contain 396 stone nesting boxes.
Other nearby listed buildings