This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9812 / 54°58'52"N
Longitude: -3.9864 / 3°59'10"W
OS Eastings: 272977
OS Northings: 566985
OS Grid: NX729669
Mapcode National: GBR 0BLV.R5
Mapcode Global: WH4VS.Q2X4
Entry Name: Crossmichael Parish Church and Churchyard (Church of Scotland)
Listing Date: 4 November 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334827
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3698
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Castle Douglas and Crocketford
Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire
T-plan church built 1751, tall round tower probably late
16th-17th century origin, top part later rebuilt; church
interior early 19th century.
Symmetrical T-plan church, painted rubble with polished
margins. S elevation with round tower to centre flanked by 2
lancet windows with timber Y-tracery.
To E and W gables single-storey piend-roofed projecting
porches, single lancet to gable above. N jamb round-arched
window. Piended slate roofs to church. Tower painted rough
rubble. Pointed-arched door at foot. 2 small blocked
round-arched roll-moulded windows are visible above door
indicating a late 16th-mid 17th-century date for the tower.
Top 1/4 of tower seems to have been rebuilt in 19th-century
from which time date the louvred openings and fish-scale
slate conical roof with iron weathervane-finial.
Interior: well preserved early 19th-century interior.
Panel-fronted gallery to 3 sides supported on cast-iron
columns. Box pews in 1822 layout. Pulpit to centre of S wall
flanked by stained-glass lancets. Behind pulpit pilastered
corniced 'reredos' doorpiece leads down to tower.
Churchyard: rubble-walled coped churchyard with some good
18th and early 19th century gravestones. Tomb of covenanting
martyr William Graham d. 1682.
Round towers such as this are extremely rare, the only
comparable example in SW Scotland being that at Portpatrick
Parish Church (1629) in Wigtownshire which may have served a
dual function as navigational beacon and belfry. The old bell
at Crossmichael church is dated 1611 which may give an
approximate date for the tower. The interior also is
unusually well preserved. The Church forms an A group with
the Gordon of Greenlaw memorial in the churchyard.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Other nearby listed buildings