This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0378 / 56°2'15"N
Longitude: -3.5009 / 3°30'3"W
OS Eastings: 306583
OS Northings: 683781
OS Grid: NT065837
Mapcode National: GBR 1W.RRGD
Mapcode Global: WH5QY.6H5Q
Plus Code: 9C8R2FQX+4J
Entry Name: Sultery Building With Shop And Post Office, 8-20 Rocks Road, Charlestown
Listing Name: Charlestown, 8, 10, 14, the Sutlery, 16, 18 Rocks Road, Including Letterbox
Listing Date: 31 December 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334872
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3742
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Rosyth
Traditional County: Fife
WEST (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central door and 2 flanking windows inserted into blocked up arched openings. Door in each outer bay. 5 1st floor windows and 2nd floor granary openings including central hoist door centred above; extra 1st floor window between 1st and 2nd bays to left. Gabled pediment above central 3 bays; central corniced stack with diamond decoration (former base for bell). Niche with fitting for bell pull above left of central door. Letterbox to right of far left ground floor window; 'Post Office' legend to mouth hood; door below with 'G VI R' and crown decoration.
SOUTH ELEVATION: replacement central steps and porch leading to 1st floor accommodation. Flanking 1st floor windows; 2 blind 2nd floor windows centred above; central blind round-headed 2nd floor windows. Raised flat gablehead with diamond decoration; corniced chimney stacks at either end; circular cans.
EAST ELEVATION: 2 doors with flanking windows. 1st floor windows and 2nd floor granary openings centred above ground floor windows and right hand door; additional ground floor window to right of right door and 1st floor window between 2nd and 3rd bays.
NORTH ELEVATION: partially seen, 2000; 1st floor door; window to right. 2nd floor door to left; external replacement staircase.
Varied fenestration; predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Timber shutters to upper storey openings. M-gabled roof; slate.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.
A-Group with 1-90 Charlestown Village, exluding 36-37 and 52-55 Charlestown Village; Charlestown, Bridge of Former Elgin Railway; Charlestown, Camsie House; Charlestown Harbour; Charlestown Harbour Road, Limekilns; Charlestown Village, K6 Telephone Kiosk; Charlestown Village, The Queen's Hall; Charlestown, 12 Rocks Road, The Old School House; Charlestown, Rocks Road, Former Estate Workshop and Charlestown, Rocks Road, Old School. Charlestown village was built by Charles, 5th Earl of Elgin who exploited the nearby deposits of coal and limestone to create an industry which involved the establishment of the largest limeworks in Scotland, an iron foundry, brick works, the export of coal and coke, the necessary transport for the materials which included wagonways and a harbour and accommodation for the workers. Construction of the planned village commenced in 1756 and was complimented by associated structures such as the old granary, school and The Queen's Hall. Built as the Broomhall Estate granary; the hoist doors and arches for the carts and horses are still evident. The ground floor was converted into the Sutlery (store) in 1804 which served the village and remains today as a shop and post office; the 1st floor contains residential flats. The large bell, which called the workers, was removed from the front of the building circa 1930.
Other nearby listed buildings