This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0356 / 56°2'8"N
Longitude: -3.4978 / 3°29'52"W
OS Eastings: 306770
OS Northings: 683537
OS Grid: NT067835
Mapcode National: GBR 1X.RL59
Mapcode Global: WH5QY.7KMC
Plus Code: 9C8R2GP2+6V
Entry Name: Easter Cottage, Saltpans, Charlestown
Listing Name: Charlestown, Saltpans, Easter Cottage Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 31 December 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334874
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3744
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Rosyth
Traditional County: Fife
Early 19th century, possibly incorporating early 18th century fabric (see Notes). Single storey and attic; 3-bay rectangular plan house in cottage orne style. Hood-shaped central roof section raised to form verandah canopy. Harled, painted surrounds.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: recessed central verandah section;
replacement glazed door to left with fanlight; tripartite window to right; 3 Gothick pointed arched windows with Y-tracery above. 2 slender intersecting columns support canopy. Bipartite window to outer bays.
W ELEVATION: ground floor bipartite window; attic window to right.
N ELEVATION: central replacement door; 2 replacement windows to right.
Gabled addition above door with central replacement window.
E ELEVATION: bipartite ground floor window to right with hoodmould; central attic window.
Varied glazing patterns; timber sash and case windows with horns. 2 round-headed dormer windows positioned wholly in roof, centred above ground floor bipartite windows in S elevation. Pitched slate roof; conical central section. Raised smooth skews; swept at chimney and eaves. Corniced gable apex stacks with 3 square linked shafts; central stack to rear gable with 3 diagonally-set square, linked shafts; polygonal cans.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.
BOUNDARY WALL: rubble wall encloses garden on 3 sides; rough coping stones; central gap opposite main entrance.
So named because of its location to the E of Charlestown Harbour, the house was once matched by a similar one called Wester Cottage, sited to the W of the harbour which burnt down but its remains are situated in the garden of Braeside. Easter Cottage was possibly built for the manager of Charlestown Limeworks.
The current owner (2009) has provided information noting that papers in the archives of Lord Elgin reportedly record a building on this site from 1760 with a sketch dated 1819 (possibly?) showing Easter Cottage but with a thatched roof.
List description revised 2009.
Other nearby listed buildings