This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1158 / 56°6'56"N
Longitude: -4.328 / 4°19'40"W
OS Eastings: 255350
OS Northings: 693895
OS Grid: NS553938
Mapcode National: GBR 0W.LRPC
Mapcode Global: WH3MW.HJ8W
Plus Code: 9C8Q4M8C+8Q
Entry Name: Gartinstarry
Listing Name: Gartinstarry, Including Boundary Wall to South East and Gartinstarry Cottage
Listing Date: 5 September 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335113
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3938
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Dated 1789; with earlier-mid 19th century additions. 2-storey; double-fronted house with 2 later single storey wings to rear (NE); adjoining pair of later or altered formerly separate single storey ranges (one partially with attic) at right angles to NE and SW; forming overall U-plan. Symmetrical principal (SE) elevation with regularly fenestrated house and flanking gable ends to single storey ranges. Painted rubble with painted ashlar dressings. Eaves course and eaves cornice to principal elevation of main block of main block. Architraved openings to main block/principal elevation including flanking wings; mostly painted surrounds to openings elsewhere. Coped gables to main block.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: original 2-storey house to centre; central entrance with 6-panel 2-leaf timber door; flanking windows to each floor and one above; pilaster-like vertical margins (corniced at apex) to arrises; '1789' inscribed on skewputt to left return. Flanking single storey bays (formerly screen walls); each with segmental-headed entrance (boarded timber door to that to left; late 20th century glazed door to that to right); adjoining gable ends of outer flanking single storey ranges; each with oculus to gable and bracketed overhanging roof with projecting purlin ends.
NW ELEVATION: main block set back to centre; central window to 1st floor and one to left. Ground floor obscured by later additions; gable end of wing projects to centre (2 windows; that to right enlarged/inserted; window to left of left return); gable end of shorter wing adjoins set back to right (window to right and one to right of right return); lean-to section (with window) adjoins set back to left; continued (with pitched roof) to left of main block (large entrance with glazed 2-leaf timber door) to meet formerly detached NE range. Window (formerly loading door) to projecting gable end of NE range (to outer left); near central entrance (boarded timber door) to right return; inserted garage entrance to left; inserted mullioned tripartite to right. Inserted/enlarged ground floor window to projecting gable end of SW wing (to outer right); attic window to gable; near central window and one to left to left return; boarded lean-to porch with entrance in between; adjoins small single storey bay (with window) linking to main block at right angles to outer left.
NE ELEVATION: 2 large inserted/enlarged architraved window to left of formerly detached NE range.
SW ELEVATION: 3-bay section with attic to left of left return of formerly detached SW range; truncated gable to outer left bay (window to each floor); entrance (panelled timber door) to right; inserted window to right; inserted flat-headed extension to roof above contains 2 dormers. Entrance (panelled timber door) with flanking windows to 3-bay section to right.
4-pane timber sash and case windows to main block; UPVC replacements and 4-pane timber sash and case windows elsewhere. Grey slate roofs. Gablehead stacks to either side of main block (that to NE rendered/coped; that to SW paritally rendered brick with band course); rendered gablehead stack to one of wings adjoining its NW side; 2 ridge stacks (one rendered; one coped brick) to formerly detached SW range; tall modern harled wallhead stack with band course to formerly detached NE range; round and octagonal cans.
INTERIOR: not inspected (2000).
BOUNDARY WALL TO SE: low coursed rubble U-plan wall (probably dating from latter part of 19th century) encloses front garden; rounded stone coping largely replaced in concrete; square-plan sandstone ashlar piers with pyramid coping at outer flanking arrises; similar rectangular-plan gatepiers at centre of roadside elevation; replacement timber gate.
The main block is a good largely intact example of a (dated) late 18th century former farmhouse. The formerly detached flanking ranges would previously have been farm outbuildings. The complex is shown in its present layout, minus the wing walls/single storey linking sections between the main block and flanking ranges on the 1865 OS map. According to the RCAHMS Inventory, Gartinstarry was originally owned by the Buchanans of Brachern.