History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Closeburn Mains (Formerly Closeburn Hall Stables)

A Category C Listed Building in Closeburn, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.2165 / 55°12'59"N

Longitude: -3.7174 / 3°43'2"W

OS Eastings: 290832

OS Northings: 592704

OS Grid: NX908927

Mapcode National: GBR 28G3.ZV

Mapcode Global: WH5VW.V4ZT

Entry Name: Closeburn Mains (Formerly Closeburn Hall Stables)

Listing Date: 26 June 1986

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335185

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4009

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Closeburn

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Mid and Upper Nithsdale

Parish: Closeburn

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Find accommodation in
Closeburn

Description

Probably built circa 1780 (ie contemporary with Closeburn

Hall). Stables now used as farm steading and cottages 4

blocks (mostly harled, painted margins) built around

quadrangular courtyard, asymmetrical T-plan range linked to

rear (east) with second courtyard (latter open at north but

now largely filled by haybarn). 2-storeys/lofts. Openings

mostly square-headed; some segmental-headed. West elevation:

originally symmetrical; 7 bays, pedimented inner bay with segmental-arched pend (similar (blocked) cart-arches in outer

bays), oculus in tympanum; pair large square-headed (?later)

cart arches either side, windows now inserted, single 1st

floor/loft windows: south return elevation has irregularly

placed openings, including cottage doors, and corniced

stacks. East range has cartshed with series of square-headed

openings to north and to south elevations (these mostly

blocked; partly obscured at south by ramp), piend-roofed

dovecot at east rises above main roof level. Roofs mostly

slated, and swept down over lean-to's either outer end of

east elevation.

Statement of Interest

1734 datestone initialed S(ir) T(homas) K(irkpatrick) D.S.G.

perhaps from earlier Closeburn Hall (destroyed 1748).

Closeburn Hall now too ruinous to merit listing.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.