This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9164 / 55°54'59"N
Longitude: -2.1384 / 2°8'18"W
OS Eastings: 391448
OS Northings: 669268
OS Grid: NT914692
Mapcode National: GBR F0H0.VZ
Mapcode Global: WH9XQ.3KZ7
Plus Code: 9C7VWV86+HJ
Entry Name: Foghorn, St Abb's Head Lighthouse
Listing Name: St Abb's Head, Lighthouse Including Foghorn, Foghorn Engine House, Boundary Walls and Stair
Listing Date: 9 June 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335315
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4103
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
David and Thomas Stevenson, opened 1862 with later additions and alterations.
LIGHTHOUSE: major but diminutive light comprising circular-plan, triangular-paned lantern with finialled, hemispherical cap on squat single storey, whitewashed base of interlocking square and circle, with painted coping. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
FOGHORN: separate single storey, semicircular-plan block to N with surmounting foghorn.
FOGHORN ENGINE HOUSE: single storey, rectangular-plan engine house to SW. Whitewashed harl; bull-faced sandstone dressings (painted in part). SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: segmental-arched doorway off-set to right. SE AND NW (SIDE) ELEVATIONS: segmental-arched windows in both bays. Doorway in gabled addition to right and single window in gabled addition to left respectively. 8-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Flat roof. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND STAIR: rubble-coped, whitewashed rubble, semicircular boundary wall to W of light. Steep stair to SW with rubble-coped, whitewashed rubble walls to sides; 2-leaf pedestrian gate.
B Group comprises 'St Abb's Head, Lighthouse' and 'St Abb's Head, Lightkeeper's Cottage, Lighthouse Retreat & Keeper's Hold' - see separate list entry. Although now in separate ownership, both the lighthouse and the cottages once associated with it form a significant group, prominently set on St Abb's Head (a nature reserve). Commissioned by the Northern Lighthouse Board, the lighthouse was opened on 24th February 1862 and, now automated, is still in use 1999.
Other nearby listed buildings