History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gardener's Cottage, Cumledge

A Category B Listed Building in Duns, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.7998 / 55°47'59"N

Longitude: -2.3371 / 2°20'13"W

OS Eastings: 378967

OS Northings: 656325

OS Grid: NT789563

Mapcode National: GBR D13C.TS

Mapcode Global: WH8X2.2HD5

Plus Code: 9C7VQMX7+W5

Entry Name: Gardener's Cottage, Cumledge

Listing Name: Cumledge with Suspension Bridge, Gatepiers and Auxiliary Buildings, Including U-Plan Court and Cottages

Listing Date: 9 June 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335336

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4112

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200335336

Location: Duns

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Mid Berwickshire

Parish: Duns

Traditional County: Berwickshire

Tagged with: Cottage

Find accommodation in


Mid 18th century with later alterations and additions (dated 1834 to rear). 2-storey, 5-bay classical house with flanking crowstepped pavilions set back. Droved ashlar with polished ashlar dressings; squared and snecked sandstone, flanking pavilions. Base course, band course between floors, eaves course.

SE ELEVATION: symmetrical 5-bay group with outer pavilions. Canted single storey porch to centre with cornice and blocking course with deep-set panelled door with ornamental glazing to rectangular fanlight above, SW return elevation. Window at 1st floor above. Outer bays canted and piended with tall, narrow round-arched niches to angled elevations and windows to each floor to SE. Segmental arch (blinded to SW) with shield above and window to gablehead of each set back (to align with rear elevation) pavilions; cruciform ashlar finial to NE pavilion.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: stair window to centre, date stone (1834) above, with flat-roofed line-rendered addition at ground. 2-leaf door to outer left of central 3-bay group with diamond-paned rectangular fanlight above. Outer bays advanced. Monopitch addition with screen wall to outer left; blank at ground of outer right with window at 1st floor above.

NE RANGE (PAVILION): 4-bay SW elevation with windows at 1st floor of bays to centre breaking eaves. Window at ground of bay to inner left; segmentally-arched opening with 2-leaf boarded door at ground of bay to inner right. Boarded door at ground to outer left. Modern part-glazed door to outer right. Later boarded addition to outer right at 1st floor on metal girder-stilts. Later single storey monopitch addition to NE elevation.

SW RANGE (PAVILION): blinded window at ground and 1st floor of bay to right of NE elevation. Boarded later addition to centre and left of centre. Windows to each of 4 bays of SW elevation except in bay to inner right with 2-leaf boarded door.

12-pane timber sash and case windows. Piend and platformed slate roof to central 3 bays. Rendered stacks.

INTERIOR: shutters in place. Canted front to NE pavilion ground floor room; bowed front to SW pavilion ground floor room. Cast-iron ornamental balustrade to stone stairs, with timber handrail.

SUSPENSION BRIDGE: vehicular bridge. 1953; concrete. Battered pylons with flat coping and shaped arch-tie to banks flanking segmental-arched deck; metal rope stays.

AUXILIARY BUILDINGS: U-plan rubble court of varying dates, 2-storey and single storey to W of house, comprising stables, granary, recent use as pig sties. Further single storey rectangular-plan, rubble and timber shed to NW of U-plan court. 2 single storey later raised to 2-storey cottages to SE of court, across Burn and other to SW of court near road.

GATEPIERS: chamfered arrises to square-plan gatepiers with pyramidal copping.

Statement of Interest

The stable and granary might once have been part of a mill complex, as it is close to the burn. A mill stone is found on the property. The 1948 floods swept away the conventional stone bridge which had formerly crossed the Cumledge Burn.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.