This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0721 / 56°4'19"N
Longitude: -4.3429 / 4°20'34"W
OS Eastings: 254256
OS Northings: 689055
OS Grid: NS542890
Mapcode National: GBR 0W.PGB5
Mapcode Global: WH3N2.8M5Y
Plus Code: 9C8Q3MC4+RR
Entry Name: The Old Manse, 1-4 Station Road, Balfron
Listing Name: Station Road, 1-4 (Inclusive Nos) the Old Manse
Listing Date: 5 September 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335397
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4169
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Main block probably 1789; extended to W late 18th - early 19th centuries; earlier-mid 20th century addition to NE; various alterations. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay; rectangular-plan, original main block; substantial lower-height 2-storey wings adjoin to W and N/E (forming complex overall plan); single storey/single storey and attic sections to far W. Symmetrical garden (S) elevation to original main block. Former manse (now flatted) including former outbuilings (partly agricultural). Mainly harled with painted ashlar dressings; parts of N elevation/outbuildings white-painted rubble. Eaves band to original main block. Vertical margins at arrises to original main block and S elevation of most of W additions. Architraved openings, apart from to N elevation of far W additions.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: entrance to main block set back to later infill bay to left of centre of overall complex; panelled timber door; small window to left; window above. 2 piended dormers (one blind) set back to original block (both probably late 19th/early 20th century). Wing addition to main block adjoins projecting slightly to left; gable of later L-shaped wing set forward from it; 2 windows to 1st floor; small window to left of ground floor; 3-bay right return; piended dormers to upper floor; entrance to right of ground floor; 4-bay section adjoins to left of gable end; windows to upper floor only; segmental-headed opening to passageway to ground floor (entrance and window inside to right). Early addition adjoins main block set forward to right; window to left of 1st floor; modern addition set forward to right; entrance to right; 3 windows to left. Early gabled addition projects to right; 2 windows to 1st floor; one centred to ground floor; stair window centred to left return; 2 windows to left to 2nd floor; entrance to right return; window above and one to left. Blank wall of lower-height former outbuilding adjoins set back to right. Gable end of former cart shed (now garage) projects to right; former segmental-headed entrance (now blocked) with hayloft opening above; modern garage opening to left return; window to right return. Single storey modern addition adjoins to outer right.
S (GARDEN) ELEVATION: main block set forward to right. Central entrance; 2-leaf glazed timber door with rectangular fanlight. Window above; flanking windows to each floor (those to attic are later piended dormers). 2 ground floor windows to left return; small narrow inserted window to left of 1st floor. Early addition adjoins set back to left; 3 windows to ground floor; 2 above. Gabled section projects slightly to left; entrance with glazed door to right; window to left; pair of windows above. Lower-height former outbuilding adjoins to left; 3 large inserted windows to ground floor; pair of piended dormers above. Gable end of former cart shed adjoins to left; arrowslit ventilation opening to gable; modern glazed lean-to projects below. Single storey modern addition adjoins to outer left.
E ELEVATION: gable end of main block set forward to left; 2 windows to ground floor; one above to right; entrance to later lean-to to right; glazed door with rectangular fanlight. Piended dormer to right return (of lean-to). Later wing set back to right; mullioned bipartite to ground floor; window above. Later L-shaped addition adjoins to left; single bay with entrance with piended dormer above; blank gable end projects to right; segmental opening to passageway to left return; window to left; inserted tripartite to right; 3 windows to upper floor (2 to right mullioned bipartites).
Mainly multi-pane timber sash and case windows (12-pane to original block). Grey slate roofs. Coped gablehead stacks at either end (E and W) of main block; one to attached wing to N; 4 coped ridge stacks (including 2 gableheads) to sections of W wing; round cans.
INTERIOR: only partially inspected (1999). Appears much altered. Replacement staircase with turned timber balusters (probably late 19th century) to original main block.
A late 18th century manse; the (mainly slightly later) outbuildings of which have been considerably altered as residential accommodation. According to the 'Statistical Account' of 1796, "the manse and offices were built new from the foundation in 178". 'The New Statistical Account' of 1845 states that it was endowed with 17 acres of glebe. A lot of money was spent on it by the heritors in 1826, 1832, 1838 and 1845. See separate list description for walled garden to N.
Other nearby listed buildings