History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kendrum Burn Viaduct

A Category B Listed Building in Balquhidder, Stirling

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.3723 / 56°22'20"N

Longitude: -4.3081 / 4°18'29"W

OS Eastings: 257543

OS Northings: 722393

OS Grid: NN575223

Mapcode National: GBR 0X.2J4Y

Mapcode Global: WH3LQ.S3P7

Plus Code: 9C8Q9MCR+WQ

Entry Name: Kendrum Burn Viaduct

Listing Name: Edinchip Viaduct over Kendrum Burn

Listing Date: 6 September 1979

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335424

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4196

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Balquhidder

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith

Parish: Balquhidder

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in


Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Probably Simpson and Wilson, 1901-5 with 1997 alterations. Slightly curved, 5-span, concrete viaduct over the Kendrum Burn. There are 4 40ft-span concrete arches across the valley originally flanking an 82ft girder span over the burn. In 1997 the girder span was replaced by a tubular-steel bowstring span. Along the E elevation are regularly-spaced manholes. The concrete is channelled and there is a string course and coped parapet. The viaduct is a good and imposing example of concrete engineering.

Statement of Interest

Situated about a quarter of a mile to the SE of Edinchip farm. Built as part Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway that ran between Balquhidder Station and Comrie and was absorbed by the Caledonian Railway in 1902, before it opened. According to 'Building News', the viaduct was opened on 1st May 1905. The viaduct at Lochearnhead over the Ogle Burn is on the same line and similar in design, but the Edinchip viaduct is considerably taller. The girder span was an economical solution to the need for a wider span over the burn. The original girder span was dismantled after the line closed and was replaced by the present structure in 1997: the viaduct is now in use as part of the National Cycle Network. The viaduct was upgraded from category C(S) to B on 27th July 1999. The previous list description states that the architects of this viaduct were Simpson and Wilson, but does not mention where this information comes from. Lochearnhead viaduct, which is very similar, is by the engineers Crouch and Hogg.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.