This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3725 / 56°22'20"N
Longitude: -4.304 / 4°18'14"W
OS Eastings: 257797
OS Northings: 722402
OS Grid: NN577224
Mapcode National: GBR 0X.2K1L
Mapcode Global: WH3LQ.V3N3
Plus Code: 9C8Q9MCW+X9
Entry Name: Other Ancillary Buildings
Listing Name: Edinchip House with Terraces, Lodge, Bridge, Gardener's Cottage, Kennels, Former Steading and Other Ancillary Buildings
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398318
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50340
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
1848. 2-storey, multi-gabled laird's house with deep, bracketed eaves, gabled 1st floor windows, gabled entrance lobby, tripartite windows to the SE elevation and a large canted bay window to the SW elevation. A good and little-altered example of an early Victorian medium-sized country house. The elevational treatment is quite plain, but the house has considerable presence when seen from its drive.
The principal part of the house lies to the SE, with a slightly lower service wing behind, to the NW; some single-storey sections adjoin the rear elevation. The entrance is on the NE elevation, which has 4 bays: there is a 2-bay section to the centre, a slightly advanced gable to the left, and a lower service wing recessed to the right. The entrance porch or lobby adjoins the central section, and 3 steps lead to a low balustraded platform in front of the front door. The principal, SE, elevation is symmetrical with a central advanced gable and tripartite windows at the ground floor of the flanking bays. The SW elevation is similar to the NE elevation, with an advanced gable to the right and service wing recessed to the left. Fenestration is regular, except for a 4-light canted bay window at the ground floor of the gable.
Interior: 2-leaf, half-glazed doors lead from lobby to broad central corridor, off the centre of which is a timber stair with turned balusters. The stained glass in the stair window was inserted in about 2000. Chimney pieces in principal rooms and some bedrooms. Roll-moulded cornicing and 4-panel timber doors throughout. The former butler's pantry retains its dresser. There is a bell box, and some of the bells still work.
Materials: timber panelled front door. Timber sash and case windows with predominantly 12-pane glazing. Squared, coursed local stone with raised, droved and chamfered sandstone window and door margins. Graded grey slate with later red terracotta ridge tiles. Coped stacks with yellow clay cans.
Garden Terrace: lawn terrace to SE and SW of house.
Gardener's Cottage: circa 1880. Single storey and attic, 3-bay cottage with gabled dormers and substantial timber porch with log columns to front elevation. 2-leaf timber-panelled door; 8-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; gablehead stacks with yellow clay cans; random rubble; graded grey Scottish slate; deep bracketed eaves; flat-roofed rendered addition to rear. This is an attractive and relatively unaltered example of a traditional local style. Situated to NW of house
Steading or Stables: probably early 19th century. L-plan single-storey range with some cast-iron roof lights. White-washed rubble. Very ruinous 2-storey former house situated opposite, to E.
Kennels: 3-bay random rubble enclosures.
Gate Lodge: circa 1890. Single storey and attic, 3-bay cottage with gabled dormers, canted bay window and timber porch. Random rubble with long and short sandstone dressings. A slightly grander version of the Gardener's cottage, but thoroughly modernised internally and with new slates and timber windows in about 2000. Situated to SE of house.
Bridge: single-arch rubble bridge with quartz coping stones. Located in front of gate lodge.
Edinchip House was built for the MacGregor family in 1847-8, and drawings exist in the Stirling Archives showing various schemes, including the one that was executed. The drawings are unsigned, but one is date-stamped '1847, Perth'. There is also a lot of documentation giving details of the work in process and this is briefly summarised in Stewart. The ruined building opposite the steading is possibly the remains of the early 19th century house that preceded the present one, but this is only a tentative suggestion.
The track of the Callander and Oban railway, which was built in the 1860s, runs through the Edinchip policies cutting the house off from the wooded hill garden that lies to the N. At the insistence of the MacGregors, the railway company provided a cast-iron footbridge to link the two parts of the property. This bridge is listed separately. The hill garden, which lies just to the N of the railway, is of considerable interest as a piece of designed landscape and is planted with many varieties of tree and shrub.
Other nearby listed buildings