This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1824 / 56°10'56"N
Longitude: -4.3858 / 4°23'8"W
OS Eastings: 252016
OS Northings: 701429
OS Grid: NN520014
Mapcode National: GBR 0T.GJP9
Mapcode Global: WH3MG.LVRV
Plus Code: 9C8Q5JJ7+XM
Entry Name: David Marshal Lodge And Indicator, Aberfoyle
Listing Name: Aberfoyle, Queen Elizabeth Forest Visitor Centre, David Marshall Lodge and Cottage
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335444
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4210
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Originally built as a modest tea room/pavilion designed by James Shearer and Annand in 1958-60, with a timber and glazed extension added to the N by Ian G Lindsay and Partners in 1978, the Lodge is now used as a Forestry Commission Scotland visitor centre for the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park. It is located on a hill over looking Aberfoyle to the S, and is roughly Y-plan. It is an example of post-war Modernist architecture with an unusual plan.
Built of distinctive drystone rubble Lake District slate, the 1958-60 building has a simple 3-wing radial plan with a 2-storey pyramid roofed tower rising from the centre. On the E, S and W elevations, the flat roofs of the radial wings extend, supported by twin-tube concrete columns, to form a sheltered viewing platform. The entrance, on the W side of the N wing, is within a recessed bay (currently screened by a timber and glazed wall forming an outer vestibule), and the doorway is framed by polished, round-ended concrete columns with flanking windows. The windows are timber-framed with 2 smaller panes, one of which opens, with a larger pane below.
The 1978 addition extends from the end of the N wing, taking advantage of the falling ground to create a 2-storey heptagonal structure with the glazed upper storey jettied out on timber columns over the service accommodation below.
The interior was originally simple, and little character remains.
To the W of the main building, an L-plan, flat-roofed single storey building of 1958-60 by James Shearer and Annand, using the same Lake District masonry.
Other nearby listed buildings