This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1834 / 56°11'0"N
Longitude: -4.4203 / 4°25'13"W
OS Eastings: 249874
OS Northings: 701609
OS Grid: NN498016
Mapcode National: GBR 0S.GGXN
Mapcode Global: WH3MG.2VB3
Plus Code: 9C8Q5HMH+9V
Entry Name: Dundarroch, Loch Ard
Listing Name: Loch Ard, Dundarroch
Listing Date: 6 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335453
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4217
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Dundarroch, a replacement for an earlier house located on the same site, was built circa 1922; it is a harled, rectangular-plan, 2-storey, neo-Georgian villa, located on a small promontory into the E end of Loch Ard. It is a well-proportioned and detailed example of neo-Georgian architecture, a style favoured for inter-war country houses, and has interest as the only building in the locality to have a strong classical character.
The house is located so that the front (E) elevation would be clearly seen as the house was approached from the road from Aberfoyle; it was slightly repositioned from the site of the preceding building. The symmetrical 5-bay elevation has a Roman Doric porch to the centre, and a heavy eaves entablature which forms a parapet to conceal the shallow piended roof; the entablature returns halfway along the side elevations. Although the character of the house is Regency, the use of double mullioned windows at the outer bays indicate the influence of more contemporary architectural features.
The rear (W) elevation is near-symmetrical, of 3 bays with a rectangular outshot to centre with french doors flanked by windows leading into the garden; to the left is a canted bay, and to the right is a smaller blank outshot. The 1st floor windows are all double with mullions.
While the roadside (N) elevation is blank, the S side elevation is dominated by a large conservatory (timber framed on harled dwarf walls), but appears to have an original door and window opening to ground floor, and a single window at the 1st floor level.
Access to interior not obtained, 2005.
White painted harl; material underneath likely to have been salvaged from the previous structure. Timber sash and case windows with horns and 9, 12 and 15-pane glazing. Principal doorway has 2-leaf timber-panelled storm door with 4-pane letter-box fanlight above. Piended slated roof. Wall-end stacks to side elevations, and small central ridge stack; all harled and coped with circular red clay cans.
The original house of Dundarroch was sold by the Duke of Montrose to a Miss Kerr in the early 1920s, who then had the old house replace by the current building.
Other nearby listed buildings