This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1823 / 56°10'56"N
Longitude: -4.4461 / 4°26'46"W
OS Eastings: 248270
OS Northings: 701544
OS Grid: NN482015
Mapcode National: GBR 0R.GH4X
Mapcode Global: WH3MF.PV0Y
Entry Name: Dun Dhu (Also Known As Dun Dubh or Mell Mhor)
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335455
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4219
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Dun Dubh is a small C-plan, 2-storey asymmetrical mansion, built in 1886 in a plain 17th century revival style; the character of the house is defined by the use of a gabled roofline, irregularly disposed red sandstone mullioned windows, a mixture of vertically and horizontally orientated openings, and an unusual quoin arrangement of long verticals broken by short horizontals. The house is located in on a wooded site overlooking Loch Ard to the W.
The house is approached from the N; the N elevation has 3 gables, the outer two of which are slightly advanced. The entrance porch is a deeply corniced, flat roofed rectangular projection from the right of the centre section, with a roll moulded doorpiece and riveted timber door offset to the right, and a date plaque to the left. Above the porch is a 4-light window to light the stair hall within.
The W elevation is double-gabled; the windows on this elevation have had their mullions removed and modern glazing inserted; there was also originally a small timber conservatory to the right of this elevation. Both the W and the longer S elevation have view over Loch Ard. The S elevation is 4-bay, with 2 gables to the centre and a parapeted canted 2-storey bay window. The rear (E) elevation, which has a gable to the left and a small single storey lean-to projection, also has the door to the service area of the house.
Most of the original joinery and plasterwork remains. The billiard room has a ceiling divided into squares by timber and plaster mouldings. The W public room has two stone bolection chimneypieces. The entrance porch contains a small timber-panelled cloakroom. The ¼ turn timber stair has an unusual fretwork design baluster.
Random rubble with red bull-faced sandstone margins and quoins; at the time of the 1st survey (1971) the house was harled, and may have originally been so. Mixture of multi-pane timber casement windows and sash and case windows; some modern windows. Pitched roof, graded slates, stone skews. Cast iron rain water goods including ornamental hoppers. Corniced gable head and wall head stacks.
Dun Dhu was built for a Colonel Eyres, whose monogram is on the date stone on the N elevation.
To the NW of the main house is the roofless shell of the coach house, which was originally designed in the same style as the house. Also to the NW is a small brick-built generator house, dating to the earlier 20th century.
Other nearby listed buildings