History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block, Moncreiffe House

A Category B Listed Building in Almond and Earn, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.3593 / 56°21'33"N

Longitude: -3.4002 / 3°24'0"W

OS Eastings: 313581

OS Northings: 719431

OS Grid: NO135194

Mapcode National: GBR 20.3B2T

Mapcode Global: WH6QK.RF17

Plus Code: 9C8R9H5X+PW

Entry Name: Stable Block, Moncreiffe House

Listing Name: Moncreiffe Estate, the Stables

Listing Date: 9 June 1981

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335808

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4536

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunbarney

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Almond and Earn

Parish: Dunbarney

Traditional County: Perthshire

Tagged with: Stable

Find accommodation in
Bridge of Earn


William Stirling, soon after 1821, reworking of 18th century building; altered 20th century. Fine survival of well-detailed 2-storey, 9-bay, piend-roofed Classically-detailed stables range with flatted dwellings above. Arched pend entrance, keystoned round-arched window, ball-finialled open pediment, fine ogee-roofed clock incorporating dovecote, and stone forestair. Snecked whinstone rubble with contrasting red sandstone ashlar dressings, some stugged, and raised margins. Segmental-headed cart arches, voussoirs, 1st floor windows to principal elevation breaking eaves into stone-pedimented dormerheads.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: symmetrical principal elevation to S with slightly advanced pend in pedimented centre bay, ogee-roofed clock to ridge above, regular fenestration in flanking bays and slightly advanced piended outer bays each with boarded timber doors to cart arch below dormerheaded window. Simple, possibly earlier, detail to rear elevation with stone forestair at centre, small openings close to eaves.

INTERIOR: stables with decorative ceramic wall tiles and herringbone floor tiles to cast iron and timber loose boxes.

Small pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped red sandstone stacks and brick stacks. Clock tower with lead roof.

Statement of Interest

B Group with Moncreiffe House, Walled Garden and Ha-Ha, Dairy, Dovecote, Filter Bed and Water Tank, Gamekeeper's Cottage, Garden Cottage, West Lodge and Gate, and East Gate.

The fine Stable Block at Moncreiffe is an important early survival. It is sited a short distance from the main house, and was an integral element of the estate buildings. The Classical detailing reflects the Classical nature of the earlier Moncreiffe House (see below) and the fashion of the time for rational and symmetrical design for stable blocks. The ogee-roofed clock and dovecote may be the top stage of the cupola removed from the old house during 19th century re-roofing. The 1st floor principal elevation windows of the stable block were raised through the eaves into dormerheads in the 20th century.

The high quality design of Moncreiffe Stables reflects both the wealth and status of the owner as well as the important role of the horse in the 19th century. Unlike some examples where ranges away from the house were less well-detailed, this stable block is built to a very high standard, with the entrance range following the fashion derived from the 18th century Whim House 'with the vocabulary of a central entrance identified by a pediment, dome, lantern or tower, then wings to either side ' containing loose boxes. At either end, sometimes pedimented, pavilions contained coach-houses, tack rooms and accommodation above' (Buxbaum pp100-101). These elements were combined by William Stirling at Cambuswallace in 1809 and at Alva House at about the same time as Moncreiffe.

The architect William Stirling (II) practiced from Dunblane with his cousin, also William Stirling (I). Just prior to working at Moncreiffe Stables, William Stirling II had enlarged the stables at Dupplin Castle, Forteviot. Whilst working at the Moncreiffe Estate, he was also enlarging Moncreiffe Inn at Bridge of Earn. His portfolio included Blairgowrie Parish Church in 1824 and Dron Parish Church, 1825.

Moncreiffe House dates from 1962, it replaces a house destroyed by fire in 1957.

List description revised and category changed from C(S) to B 2010.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.