This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.0998 / 55°5'59"N
Longitude: -5.0056 / 5°0'20"W
OS Eastings: 208333
OS Northings: 582507
OS Grid: NX083825
Mapcode National: GBR GH07.9WR
Mapcode Global: WH2RG.22MQ
Entry Name: Ballantrae Manse with Boundary Wall and Gates
Listing Date: 22 October 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336142
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4840
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Girvan and South Carrick
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1736 with 18th century and later alterations. 2-storey, 3-bay gabled manse with 20th century bowed, glazed single-storey central porch to front and single-storey wing to rear forming L-plan. Grey-rendered stone with white-painted ashlar dressings. Quoin strips. Fairly regular fenestration with raised ashlar margins and projecting cills. 2 piended dormers, positioned symmetricallyto rear elevation.
12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Ashlar-coped skews. Coped gablehead stacks with later red clay cans. Mixture of cast-iron and plastic rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: curved, cantilevered stone staircase with cast-iron balusters and polished wooden handrail. Timber-panelled window surrounds and presses in principal rooms. Mostly timber-boarded doors. Three recesses in attic containing panelling of box-bed frames, the central one concealed by a timber-boarded door.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATES: random whinstone rubble boundary wall with rough cement cope. 2-leaf spear-headed cast-iron gate.
A substantially little-altered 18th century manse still in use as such, with good interior detailing. It is situated at the heart of Ballantrae Village, to the NW (rear) of the B-listed church. In the Statistical Account of Scotland (1791), the then incumbent, Rev. William Donaldson, states that the manse was built 'in 1736, and the repairs upon the manse and offices since that time has cost the heritors little more than L.20 sterling'. Later, Rev. John Milroy wrote in his 1836 report for the New Statistical Account: 'The manse was built in 1736, and, though now a century old, is still in a good state of repair.'