This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5888 / 55°35'19"N
Longitude: -4.5667 / 4°34'0"W
OS Eastings: 238335
OS Northings: 635791
OS Grid: NS383357
Mapcode National: GBR 3D.NT3K
Mapcode Global: WH3Q8.TSKD
Plus Code: 9C7QHCQM+G8
Entry Name: Walled Garden, Fairlie House
Listing Name: Fairlie, Walled Garden with Potting Sheds
Listing Date: 22 October 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336176
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4866
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kyle
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Probably later 18th century. Large random rubble flat-coped walled garden enclosing an area approximately 150 x 75m with two inner dividing walls and lean-to potting sheds against S wall of N section. S-facing walls partly brick-lined. Segmental-arched polished sandstone principal gateway to E wall with long and short voussoirs and flanking wide, flat, triangular-topped buttresses to interior and exterior. 2-leaf timber-boarded gates. Later openings to N end of E wall.
POTTING SHEDS: random sandstone rubble with polished sandstone ashlar margins, eaves course, ashlar-coped skews and grey slate roofs.
A good example of an unusually extensive 18th century walled garden that informs the historical context of the Fairlie Estate despite now being in separate ownership to Fairlie House and the adjacent Fairlie Mains (both listed separately). The date 1776 is inscribed on one of the potting sheds. The taller section of wall behind these sheds, which is partially brick-lined, reflects the former position of a now demolished lean-to S-facing greenhouse on the opposite side, shown on 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map (1894'6).
Robert Burns's father was employed here as a gardener and lived for a time in the one of the buildings of the U-shaped court adjoining the NE corner of the garden. The roofs of the potting sheds where he worked have largely collapsed.
Abutting the N end of the E wall is a domestic range that has windows opening into the garden. This would have been the head gardener's house and was built as part of a larger U-plan courtyard, of which the parallel range to the E and front wall on the former connecting N range still survive. These buildings are historically ancillary to the garden and form part of its setting.
Other nearby listed buildings