This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4602 / 55°27'36"N
Longitude: -4.5059 / 4°30'21"W
OS Eastings: 241654
OS Northings: 621334
OS Grid: NS416213
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.Y2RF
Mapcode Global: WH3R2.R0JZ
Entry Name: The Cushats, Including Coach House and Stable Block and Garage
Listing Date: 22 October 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336214
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4896
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Maybole, North Carrick and Coylton
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1880, possibly incorporating earlier fabric. Single storey and attic, roughly 5-bay, irregular-plan cottage orné enlarged into a modest country house, with deep, bracketed, decoratively bargeboarded, T-braced eaves, finialled gables and steep-pitched multi-gabled roof. Rendered masonry with polished ashlar dressings and raised quoin strips. Base course to principal (SE) elevation and front sections of side elevations. Predominantly bipartite and tripartite stone-mullioned windows in chamfered margins, with hoodmoulds to ground-floor openings.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: entrance bay with timber-boarded front door and dormer above; 3 bays advanced to left with 2 large dormers to attic; 1-bay section recessed to right with 2 dormers to attic. Advanced central wing to rear with tripartite mullioned window to ground and 4-light mullioned window to 1st floor; advanced bay to right with stair tower in re-entrant angle and French doors in canted window to side (SW) elevation; lean-to to left with former rear doorway (now blocked) with rectangular fanlight.
Predominantly plate glass in timber casement windows to ground floor; plate glass in timber sash and case windows to dormers. Purple slate roof; fish-scale slate tiles to rear lean-to. Rendered coped stone stacks with black clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods supported by decorative brackets.
INTERIOR: fine 1930s interior with Tudor-style dark wood panelling with linenfold sections and stone fireplaces to principal ground-floor rooms.
COACH HOUSE AND STABLE BLOCK: early 20th century. Single storey and attic, rectangular-plan block with flat-roofed, bowed projecting entrance bay, external stair and M-gable to front, plain bargeboarded eaves, mock timber framing in gables, and entrances to coach house and stable to rear. Timber-boarded doors with 8-pane glazing in rectangular fanlights. Irregular fenestration. Timber-boarded partitions and brick floor to stable. Purple slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
GARAGE: probably 1950s. 4 bays with deep, bracketed, decoratively bargeboarded, T-braced eaves and finialled gables to match the style of the house.
A highly picturesque group comprising the former dower house of Sundrum Castle, remodelled and extended in the 1880s and with good earlier 20th century interiors, and related later outbuildings built in a sympathetic style. The house was originally known as Sundrum Cottage, and the drive to it was formerly a drive to the castle (listed separately); the bridge carrying it is also listed separately. It is likely that the roof of The Cushats was originally entirely fish-scale slated, as suggested by the remaining fish-scale slates on the rear lean-to. The 1930s interiors were probably carried out for Frank H MacPherson, Ayr solicitor, who died in January 1936 (information courtesy of Rob Close).