This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.802 / 55°48'7"N
Longitude: -4.0651 / 4°3'54"W
OS Eastings: 270652
OS Northings: 658457
OS Grid: NS706584
Mapcode National: GBR 011B.QZ
Mapcode Global: WH4QP.JFGF
Plus Code: 9C7QRW2M+RX
Entry Name: Old Bothwell Primary School, Hamilton Road, Bothwell
Listing Name: Bothwell, Hamilton Road, Old Bothwell Primary School, Including Detached Dining Hall, Gatepiers, Boundary Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 3 June 1987
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336499
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB5154
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Bothwell and Uddingston
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Dated 1887. Single storey near-symmetrical 10-bay Gothic former primary school with dominant gabled ends and pointed-arched windows. Stugged and snecked red sandstone with polished ashlar dressings. Base course; continuous pointed-arched hood-mould with carved terminals over 3 light trefoil windows to centre; hood-moulds with carved terminals over plate traceried outer windows; eaves course; cills below central gablethead openings; stepped string course to gableheads; moulded surrounds to windows with chamfered mullions; long and short quoins.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 10-bay, grouped 6-4. 6-bay group to right: 3-light window in bay set to right of centre; small tripartite slit opening to gablehead; lattice detail and finial to gable apex. 3-light window in bay to right of centre. 3-light plate traceried window in advanced bay to outer right; small tripartite slit opening to gablehead; trefoil detail and finial to gable apex above. 3-light window in bay set to left of centre; small quatrefoil opening to gable; trefoil and slit detail and finial to gable apex. 3-light window in bay to left. 3-light plate traceried window in advanced bay to outer left; small tripartite slit opening to gablehead; trefoil detail and finial to gable apex above. 4-bay block, set back to left: segmental arched doorpiece with steps to replacement door and fanlight in bay to extreme right; stone plaque, carved ?BOYS? above arch; gablet above. Window, irregularly disposed in remaining 3 bays to left.
W (ELEVATION): irregular 7-bay, grouped 3-3-1. 3-bay block, set back to centre: window in bay to centre. Segmental arched doorpiece with (blocked) door and fanlight in bay to left; carved scroll plaque, 'GIRLS', over lintel with lattice detail to gablet above. Narrow window abutting re-entrant angle in bay to right. 3-bay block to left: 3-light plate traceried window with pedimented plaque, 'ERECTED 1887' above; quatrefoil opening to gablehead; lattice detail and gablet finial to gable apex. Shouldered tall window in each bay flanking; bipartite window to gabled right return; gablehead stack above. 3-light plate traceried window in bay to right; small tripartite slit opening to gablehead; trefoil detail and finial to gable apex above.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: irregular 11-bay, grouped 2-2-2-2-3. Long 2-bay lean-to block to left of centre: square-plan, lean-to porch (window (blocked) in left return; door (blocked) in right return), with window flanking to left, in bay to left. Window in bay to right. 2-bay advanced block to outer left: tall bipartite window in each bay. 2 bay gabled block, slightly advanced to right: window in each bay. Window in each bay to 2-bay block to right. Window, irregularly disposed, in each bay to 3-bay block to outer right.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows, all now blocked; grey slate roof with decorative red clay ridge and louvered ventilation gablets; slate to lean-to at rear; blocked ashlar skews with steps to front central gables; ashlar coped stack to SW; cast-iron rainwater goods.
DINING HALL: single storey rectangular-plan 5-bay near symmetrical dining hall, set to E of school. Stugged pink sandstone. Base course; eaves course; chamfered surrounds to windows; long and short quoins.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: square-plan pitch-roofed entrance porch in bay to centre; window, with narrow slit motif to gablehead above; replacement door with fanlight to right return; tall wallhead stack close to re-entrant angle to left. Window in each bay flanking.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: 7-bay with window in each bay.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled wall with window, offset to left; double slit opening to gablehead above.
2- over 4-pane timber sash and case windows (ones to rear blocked). Grey slate roof with decorative red clay ridge and louvered ventilation gablets; slate to porch; ashlar skews; ashlar coped stack to N elevation; cast-iron rainwater goods.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: chamfered square-plan piers with carved gothic motifs to each face; faceted gothic cap with trefoil motifs and faceted base. Stugged ashlar sandstone walls with ridged ashlar cope and irregularly disposed shouldered piers along its length; painted cast-iron railings and (replacement) gates.
This Protestant primary school was built in 1887 to accommodate the rapidly increasing number of school children in the area as a result of the opening of a large number of coal mines. Its ecclesiastical treatment provides an impressive eye-catcher at the top of the hill from the centre of the village. Although the main building is now unoccupied, having closed its doors as a school in 1987, the detached dining hall is now in use as a nursery school.
Other nearby listed buildings