This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7041 / 55°42'14"N
Longitude: -4.5596 / 4°33'34"W
OS Eastings: 239256
OS Northings: 648594
OS Grid: NS392485
Mapcode National: GBR 3D.FNJY
Mapcode Global: WH3PP.XWXK
Plus Code: 9C7QPC3R+J4
Entry Name: Low Boreland Farm And Byres
Listing Name: Low Borland with Byres, Former Threshing Barn and Other Ancillary Buildings
Listing Date: 14 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336533
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB5185
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Annick
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Early 19th century, with later additions and probably incorporating 18th century fabric. 2-storey, 3-bay farmhouse with flanking byres forming U-plan courtyard; further ancillary buildings N, E and S. Random rubble with ashlar dressings; house rendered to front and S, white-washed to rear; outbuildings white-washed. Base course; eaves course; quoin strips; raised ashlar margins to windows.
HOUSE: central timber panelled front door to E (principal) elevation with narrow 5-pane fanlight in simple ashlar architrave; small bracketed CORNICE above. Later bipartite window at ground to right; regular fenestration elsewhere. Irregularly fenestrated W (rear) elevation; slightly advanced left bay with circa 1900 brick extension at ground; mid-19th lean-to outshot to centre; modern conservatory to right. Single storey byre adjoining N gable.
Predominantly 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Corniced gablehead stacks with tapered clay cans. Ashlar-coped skews (leaded skew to S gable). Graded grey slate; veluxes to front and rear. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: access denied.
N BYRE RANGE: converted to residential. Original range L-plan with late 19th century wing to N and brick 20th century addition to W. Raised ashlar window margins and quoin strips to original building; long and short quoins to 19th century wing. Late 20th century timber panelled door to courtyard; irregular fenestration to all elevations. Piended roofs; some veluxes and roof lights.
S BYRE RANGE: linked to house by gateway. Gabled byre with raised ashlar window margins and quoin strips. Timber-boarded sliding doors to courtyard; irregular fenestration to other elevations; hayloft to E gable.
FORMER THRESHING BARN: to S of S byre range. Gabled with ashlar-coped skews. Raised wallhead to E elevation. Ashlar window margins and strip quoins. Slit windows; threshing door to W. Graded grey slate; Veluxes.
OTHER ANCILLARY BUILDINGS: stable with hayloft to E of S byre: brick steps to S elevation; stable door to N elevation; dovecot to apex of W gable. Late 19th century barn with early 20th-century piend-roofed extension to E of N byre. Very ruinous building to S, possibly former muck-house.
Formerly called Borland. A good example of the larger type of farmhouse found in this area, with a well-preserved and relatively unaltered group of outbuildings. The present house was probably built between about 1810 and 1820. The North and South byre ranges and the threshing barn, which all have similar ashlar margins, are probably contemporary. However, the farm itself is much older than this, and is mentioned in a valuation roll of circa 1640, which is printed as an appendix in Dobie. It is also distinctly marked on Andrew Armstrong's map of 1775, and it is therefore possible that the byres incorporate 18th century fabric. There were previously three other farms in the vicinity called Borland: Over Borland and North Borland (which still exist, and are listed separately), and Laigh Borland, which was demolished in the mid-20th century (see Notes for Over Borland for further details). 'Middle Boirland' is marked on Timothy Pont's map of circa 1604, and his text mentions 'Over' and 'Nether Boirland', stating that they belonged to the Earl of Cassilis. The Borland estate passed in to the Dunlop family, and was divided up in the late 17th century.