This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7289 / 55°43'44"N
Longitude: -4.5357 / 4°32'8"W
OS Eastings: 240863
OS Northings: 651301
OS Grid: NS408513
Mapcode National: GBR 3F.D20L
Mapcode Global: WH3PQ.98DH
Plus Code: 9C7QPFH7+HP
Entry Name: Bourock
Listing Name: Bourock with Ancillary Buildings
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336575
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB5204
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Annick
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1825, probably incorporating earlier fabric, remodelled circa 1890 (see Notes). 2-storey, 3-bay farmhouse with single-storey piend-roofed wings flanking to E and W, extending back as byres and forming courtyard to N (rear). Harled random rubble; cement render to front of house; droved ashlar quoin strips and window margins.
HOUSE: half-glazed timber panelled inner door in central barge-boarded glazed porch to S (front); flanking bipartite windows at ground; regular fenestration to 1st floor. Wings to outer left and right: W wing irregularly fenestrated to S, with shouldered wallhead stack and non-traditional door to E return (see Notes); unfenestrated E wing is byre or former threshing barn (see notes). Irregular fenestration to N (rear) (see Notes).
Predominantly 12-pane lying-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; some 4-pane glazing. Ashlar-coped skews. Coped stacks with yellow clay cans. Graded grey slate.
INTERIOR: access not obtained.
E RANGE: random-rubble with long and short droved sandstone quoins. 2 timber-boarded doors to W (courtyard) elevation. Ashlar-coped skews. Graded grey slate roof.
W RANGE: asbestos-roofed byre extending back from W wing; gabled to N. Shorter gabled byre adjoining to W; W wall rebuilt in brick; simple 3-hole dovecot to N gable; graded grey slate roof. Small corrugated-iron-roofed outbuilding (possibly former stable) adjoining asbestos-roofed byre at right-angles to E, and partially enclosing courtyard; irregular fenestration.
A good, and relatively unspoilt example of an early-mid 19th century farm. The farm is first shown marked at 'Bourak' on Thomson's map of 1828. It is not on Ainslie's 1821 map, but that is less detailed. It is also shown on 'The Plan Of Langshaw' (circa 1780), although the name of the farm isn't given; the owner was a David Tinney or Finney, and the buildings consisted of one longhouse with a garden. The farm was considerably altered between the publication of the 1st and 2nd edition OS maps. The 1st edition OS map shows a T-shaped building, where the present house is, and a detached byre where the East range is. The 2nd edition map shows the present arrangement. A dotted horsemill on both maps indicates that the E range contained a threshing room. The bipartite windows at the front indicate that the house was remodelled in the 1880s or '90s, and it is likely that at the same time the W range was built, and the E range was joined to the house. It is possible that the W wing, which links the house to the cow byres, and has its own side door, was built as a dairy. It is unusual for the courtyard to be at the rear, rather than the front of the house, and it is possible that the main entrance was to the N before the circa 1890 alterations: photos taken in about 1980 show 2 recently blocked doorways in the N elevation, although there is no sign of any architrave or margin.