This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9475 / 55°56'50"N
Longitude: -4.2806 / 4°16'50"W
OS Eastings: 257676
OS Northings: 675062
OS Grid: NS576750
Mapcode National: GBR 0Y.YB9D
Mapcode Global: WH3NP.6RVZ
Plus Code: 9C7QWPW9+XP
Entry Name: Baldernock Parish Church
Listing Name: Baldernock Parish Church (Church of Scotland) Including Graveyard, Watch House, Gatepiers, Gates, Postbox and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 5 September 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 337211
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB5725
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Dunbartonshire
Electoral Ward: Bishopbriggs North and Campsie
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
1795 with later additions. 2-storey, rectangular-plan parish church with later addition to N elevation, forming T-plan. Squared, sandstone rubble.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Iron-railed forestair leading to 1st floor entrance: timber doors to entrance and at ground to forestair; flanking single windows at 1st floor.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: 4-bay. Central bell tower; infilled entrance; inscription "Deo Optimo Maximo! P.F.S. - Q.S MDCCXCV. Beneath pediment; rises to ball-finialed canopied bellcote; 1896 bell within. Tall arched windows flanking; square-headed single windows to outer bays.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Mirror of E elevation (see above).
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: single windows to outer left and right; advanced (later) vestry with timber eaves; timber door and letterbox fanlight with single window to right and left re-entrant angle; single window to right re-entrant angle.
Timber sash and case windows. Pitched slate roof; straight skews; square stack to vestry; circular can.
INTERIOR: corniced, timber pannelled central pulpit with sound board; timber dado panelling; panelled timber gallery to 3 sides supported on timber columns (ribbed frieze and modillion cornice to gallery). Plain cornice to ceiling. Timber alter furnishings; stone font; 1st and 2nd World War Memorial Panels.
GRAVEYARD, WATCH HOUSE, GATEPIERS, GATES, POSTBOX AND BOUNDARY WALL: graveyard surrounding church; predominantly 19th century headstone graves. Octagonal-plan watchhouse dated 1828; 2-leaf timber door with timber fanlight to entrance; single window with apron to one elevation only; pyramidal slate roof; polygonal stack. Circular-plan stone gatepiers. 2-leaf iron gates. Wall-mounted postbox 'G R'. Coped rubble boundary wall enclosing site; mounting steps to NE section.
An excellent example of a rural late 18th century parish church. Of particular interest is the bellcote with its iron chain and the later octagonal watch house. The church held 406 sittings as noted by Groome in 1892. Additional graveyard on opposite side of road to NE.
Other nearby listed buildings