History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Railings And Gatepiers (Former Glasgow Corporation Water Works), North Lodge (Also Known As Craigmaddie Lodge) Including Gates, Strathblane Road

A Category C Listed Building in Baldernock, East Dunbartonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9534 / 55°57'12"N

Longitude: -4.2946 / 4°17'40"W

OS Eastings: 256825

OS Northings: 675754

OS Grid: NS568757

Mapcode National: GBR 0Y.XTDH

Mapcode Global: WH3NP.0M7D

Plus Code: 9C7QXP34+95

Entry Name: Railings And Gatepiers (Former Glasgow Corporation Water Works), North Lodge (Also Known As Craigmaddie Lodge) Including Gates, Strathblane Road

Listing Name: Strathblane Road, North Lodge (Also Known As Craigmaddie Lodge) Including Gates, Railings and Gatepiers (Former Glasgow Corporation Water Works)

Listing Date: 8 December 2008

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 400126

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51264

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Baldernock

County: East Dunbartonshire

Electoral Ward: Bishopbriggs North and Campsie

Parish: Baldernock

Traditional County: Stirlingshire

Find accommodation in
Strathblane

Description

Circa 1900 with later alterations. Single storey and attic, 5-bay, T-plan, symmetrical, semi detached pair of dwellings forming gate lodge with central quadripartite dormers to front and rear, swept porches to outer bays and single storey service range to rear. Squared, stugged, snecked sandstone with polished ashlar dressings. Base course; deep bracketed eaves. Stone-mullioned bipartite windows to front.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: 3-bay, piend-roofed central section with bipartite windows at ground and quadipartite, piend-roofed dormer breaking eaves to centre. Recessed and slightly lower gabled end bays with swept-roof porches supported on turned timber balusters, round-arched window to side and king-post trussed bargeboards to gable above; mini oriels corbelled out in rear re-entrant angle. Single storey service wing to rear with piended roof.

Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows. Broad central corniced ridge stack with red clay cans. Grey slate with crested red terracotta ridge tiles.

INTERIORS: both houses have curved timber staircases with polished handrail and cast-iron banisters. Moulded cornice to front room. Timber-panelled interior doors throughout.

GATES, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: sub-Macintosh style 2-leaf iron entrance gates. Chamfered gatepiers with deep cushion caps. Curved railings flanking.

Statement of Interest

A-Group with Mugdock and Craigmaddie Reservoirs, Barrachan, Mugdock Cottage and Craigholm.

A good, well-detailed pair of cottages forming the gate lodge to Craigmaddie reservoir and occupying a prominent position on Strathblane Road (the A81). The lodge has historic importance as part of the Glasgow Corporation Waterworks (see below) and makes a positive contribution to the Conservation Area around these important reservoirs.

Craigmaddie reservoir was opened in 1897, the final part of the duplication scheme of the Glasgow Corporation Water Works that brought water down from Loch Katrine. Mugdock reservoir, which is immediately adjacent (though entirely separate) from Craigmaddie, was the original reservoir for the system and opened in 1860. By the 1870s the area around Mugdock reservoir (and later Craigmaddie) had been landscaped for use as a public park, reflecting the pride the Water Board and general public took in this internationally-renowned engineering achievement. Within this area a number of residences (including these two) were built to house the numerous employees who were responsible for the smooth-running of the system and maintenance of the grounds.

Glasgow's Lord Provost, Robert Stewart (1810-66) was the driving force behind the implementation of a municipally-owned water scheme to provide clean water to Glasgow's rapidly increasing population. Loch Katrine was identified as a suitable supply and after some objections from various parties, an Act of Parliament authorising the scheme was passed in 1855. The scheme was built in two main phases following this Act and another of 1885. The 1855 scheme was opened by Queen Victoria in 1859 and was fully operational by 1860.

The Loch Katrine Water Works was admired internationally as an engineering marvel when it was opened in 1860. It was one of the most ambitious civil engineering schemes to have been undertaken in Europe since Antiquity, employing the most advanced surveying and construction techniques available, including the use of machine moulding and vertical casting technologies to produce the cast-iron pipes. The scheme represents the golden age of municipal activity in Scotland and not only provided Glasgow with fresh drinking water, thereby paving the way for a significant increase in hygiene and living standards, but also a source of hydraulic power that was indispensable to the growth of Glasgow's industry as a cheap and clean means of lifting and moving heavy plant in docks, shipyards and warehouses. The civic pride in this achievement is visible in every structure connected with the scheme, and this gate lodge one of many expressions of this.

Listed as part of the thematic review of Glasgow's water supply system (2008).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.