This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8529 / 55°51'10"N
Longitude: -3.0146 / 3°0'52"W
OS Eastings: 336581
OS Northings: 662650
OS Grid: NT365626
Mapcode National: GBR 70DR.4R
Mapcode Global: WH7VD.N4PY
Entry Name: Newlandburn House, Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 10 October 1988
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338309
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6645
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian East
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1805; later additions and alterations. 2 storey, 3 bay house with low flanking wings and later alterations and additions to rear. Coursed tooled sandstone with polished dressings; long and short droved quoins. Base course; eaves course.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 20th century hexagonal plan glazed timber porch to centre at ground masking original corniced doorway (still intact); tripartite windows (later) to flanking bays; regular fenestration to 1st floor with architrave frames breaking eaves course. 3 bay, flat roofed wing to right; squared and snecked tooled sandstone with polished dressings; architraved window to centre; 2 pane window in recessed bay to outer right; replacement glazed door in bay to left. Single bay, flat roofed wing to left; tooled squared and snecked sandstone; red sandstone canted window with central bipartite window to centre.
NE ELEVATION: 3 bay; harled. Window slightly off centre to ground; window in gablehead to 1st floor; boarded glazed timber door in bay to left; garage in bay to right; 20th century addition of first floor with flat roof and central window.
NW ELEVATION: open courtyard (once enclosed); sandstone rubble with wing advanced to left with 2 pane horizontal window to left and door (obscured by oil tank) to right at ground; window in gable above; window to right return with modern dormer breaking eaves at 1st floor; single storey, 2 bay, lean to recessed to centre with glazed boarded timber door to left and window to right; 2 storey single bay harled wing advanced to right with irregular fenestration to left return; 3 bay flat roofed lean to addition at ground with central tripartite window; bipartite window to right and single window to left; glazed boarded timber door to rear; window to right return.
SW ELEVATION: 3 bay; harled; flat roofed addition to centre at ground with window in each bay; boarded timber door with 3 steps in bay to left; lean to addition to outer left (see above); flat roofed wing advanced to outer right; central boarded timber door; buttress to right; irregular fenestration to 1st floor.
Predominantly 12 pane timber sash and case windows to principal elevation; mainly replacement windows to remaining elevations, barred at ground. Grey slate piended roof with lead ridges; cast iron rainwater goods; predominantly coped wallhead stacks with octagonal cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1997.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: tooled sandstone coped gatepiers with spherical finials swept down to coped boundary wall running symmetrical along front of villa.
The land on which Newlandburn House stands (also known as Newland House) was originally part of Newlandrig, which was owned and established by the Dewars of Vogrie. In 1804 John Wilson, an Edinburgh coachmaker bought the village, and had Newlandburn House built. It was then sold to Archibald and John McKinlay, followed by Dr Charles Cooper (editor of the Scotsman) until 1903. In 1905 it was bought by Lord Ruthven of Freeland, who was responsible for commissioning Gertrude Jekyll to design the gardens.
Other nearby listed buildings