This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6402 / 57°38'24"N
Longitude: -2.5293 / 2°31'45"W
OS Eastings: 368499
OS Northings: 861269
OS Grid: NJ684612
Mapcode National: GBR N83J.J0T
Mapcode Global: WH8M2.37V7
Entry Name: Montcoffer House with Garden Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 26 January 1978
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338312
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6649
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Troup
Traditional County: Banffshire
Early 18th century, renovated circa 1774-75 by Fife Estate, extended circa 1880. 2-storey, 3-bay house, with later wings at rear and to W forming double pile. Harled with ashlar margins and bows with cill courses and chamfered reveals.
S ELEVATION: door to centre with pilastered and corniced doorpiece; letterbox fanlight. Flanking bows, circa 1880, extending through ground and 1st floor, contemporary with 1-bay addition to W, taller with similar bow, cornice and blocking course.
E ELEVATION: 2 windows at each floor to gable end. Later, 2-bay wing extending to N; door at ground to right, window above. Bipartite to each floor to left, piended dormer to attic.
W ELEVATION: gable end with tall windows at ground, 2 windows to 1st floor. Rear wing projecting at right angle, connected by wooden bridging corridor at 1st floor. 2 gables at rear, ruinous rubble wall to service courtyard. Door at ground, window above, small window to attic. Gable recessed to right. Sash and case windows, 4-pane glazing pattern to bows, 12-pane to sides and rear. Grey slates, ashlar coped skews, ashlar coped stacks with cornice, decorative cans retained.
GARDEN WALLS: random rubble, with pyramidal capped, ashlar gate piers to E. Walled garden to S on sloping ground to river.
Lord Braco took possession of the Montcoffer Estate, previously owned by the Russell Family, in 1755. He planted the hill of Montcoffer with trees, and installed his factor, William Rose, in 1773. The house and offices were in poor condition (Cramond); a masons account of 1774 gives evidence of work carried out, Cramond reports this to be completed by 1790. The house was again refitted and extended in 1880 for Hon G Skene Duff, and in 1906 Montcoffer was furnished from Duff House, to be used for the Banffshire visits of the Duke and Duchess of Fife who had ceased to occupy Duff House. The Outbuilding, game larders in garden to rear, and Dovecot and Cottages to the East are listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings