This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.0509 / 55°3'3"N
Longitude: -3.5942 / 3°35'39"W
OS Eastings: 298251
OS Northings: 574093
OS Grid: NX982740
Mapcode National: GBR 3BB1.N6
Mapcode Global: WH5WQ.R9PR
Plus Code: 9C7R3C24+98
Entry Name: Crichton Memorial Church, Crichton Royal Hospital, Bankend Road, Dumfries
Listing Name: The Crichton, Crichton Memorial Church
Listing Date: 26 June 1986
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338382
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6695
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Nith
Traditional County: Dumfriesshire
Sydney Mitchell and Wilson, architects. Built 1890-97. Large, richly-detailed Cathedral-type church with square tower over crossing. Carved stonework by William Vickers. Gothic, derived mainly from late 13th century sources. Built on shallow slope, with mortuary chapel below west end of nave. Outer door in long Galilee (steps within latter). Snecked, bull-faced red ashlar, pointed dressings, strings and hoodmoulds, with gabletted buttresses (pinnacles over angle
buttresses) and crenellated parapets. Ornately-carved foliated capitals, label stops, crockets and enrichments. Bold crossing. Tower
rises one stage above main roofline, with 2 louvred belfry openings and niches to each face, angle wheel stair with cap house. Mortuary chapel 3 bays, low 2-centred-archedopenings with Y-tracery (door to south) Aisled 7-bay nave; Chancel east end canted, with small vestry and organ chamber in re-entrant angles with transepts; flat-roofed 5-bay galiee: west door under moulded and richly-carved arch, nook shafts with capitals, elaborate wrought-iron gates; flanked by pinnacled small buttresses and blind openings; tall (empty) niche above flanked by row of lancets. Slate roofs.
INTERIOR: windows all leaded clear glass, by Glass Stainers Company, Glasgow; transept and chancel gable windows, with figures
also executed in clear glass; clustered columns with ornately-carved capitals; oak roofs with carved bosses; marble-tiled floors;
richly carved (oak) organ case and pulpit; bronze lectern (winged figure) presented 1907.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such - used for all denominations. Built as a memorial to the hospital's founders and to mark the 50th anniversary of its establishment.
Other nearby listed buildings