History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Stables, East Laroch, Ballachulish

A Category C Listed Building in Fort William and Ardnamurchan, Highland

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.6751 / 56°40'30"N

Longitude: -5.1334 / 5°8'0"W

OS Eastings: 208129

OS Northings: 758092

OS Grid: NN081580

Mapcode National: GBR FCP2.KDF

Mapcode Global: WH1GJ.3HT4

Plus Code: 9C8PMVG8+2M

Entry Name: The Old Stables, East Laroch, Ballachulish

Listing Name: Ballachulish, East Laroch, the Old Stables

Listing Date: 25 June 1987

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 338612

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6888

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Lismore and Appin

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan

Parish: Lismore And Appin

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Find accommodation in
Ballachulish

Description

Possibly 17th century with 18th century and later alterations. Originally single storey stable/byre; used as Episcopalian

Church in 18th century, probably raised at that time and

simple bellcote added. Rubble built with clear break over

ground floor lintel level. 2 doors toward W end on N

elevation, 2 blocked windows ground, 1 window and ventilation

slits above. Modern slapping in E gable with (?) aumbry on

outer face. Slate roof with red tile ridge.

Statement of Interest

Bishop Forbes baptised 179 Episcopalians in 1732 in the Old

Stables, Ballachulish, presumably this building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.