This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.9823 / 57°58'56"N
Longitude: -3.9425 / 3°56'32"W
OS Eastings: 285230
OS Northings: 900883
OS Grid: NC852008
Mapcode National: GBR J7MM.JT3
Mapcode Global: WH4D3.DMVJ
Plus Code: 9C9RX3J5+W2
Entry Name: Museum, Dunrobin Castle
Listing Name: Dunrobin Castle Garden Pavilion (Museum) and Walled Garden
Listing Date: 18 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338824
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB7045
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: East Sutherland and Edderton
Traditional County: Sutherland
Garden pavilion, dated 1732. Square 2 storeys over raised
basement, 3-bay west frontage with centre door
approached by flight steps; 2-bay flanks. Harl pointed
rubble, polished ashlar dressings.
Corniced doorpiece with pulvinated frieze to centre door;
linked to flanking windows by lintel band and cill band;
pulvinated string course above. 1st floor windows in outer
bays linked by cill and lintel bands, with centre blind
window filled with armorial plaque. 24-pane glazing;
rusticated quoins; shallow pyramidal slate roof. Large
brick extension to rear. Pavilion stands outside walled
garden, with entrance and square ashlar gate piers with
ball finials centred on steps to garden house.
Walled garden; high coped garden walls, with series of
stone finials to north length below castle, from which
flights of terraced steps lead up to castle terracing.
Further paid square ashlar gate piers with ball finials
in south wall, with ornate pair wront- and cast-iron gates.
Built for William, Lord Strathnaver, who became Earl of
Sutherland in 1733.
Other nearby listed buildings