This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.1243 / 57°7'27"N
Longitude: -3.9245 / 3°55'28"W
OS Eastings: 283585
OS Northings: 805350
OS Grid: NH835053
Mapcode National: GBR J9PW.M1W
Mapcode Global: WH4JC.P6D8
Plus Code: 9C9R43FG+P6
Entry Name: Insh Church
Listing Name: Insh Parish Church of Scotland and Burial Ground
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 339631
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB7668
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Kingussie and Insh
Electoral Ward: Badenoch and Strathspey
Parish: Kingussie And Insh
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Later 18th century, possibly incorporating earlier
site; 1828 and late 19th century alterations. Simple
rectangular church orientated E/W; white harled, tooled
granite ashlar margins and dressings. Round-headed
entrance in SW; 3 irregular spaced round-headed windows in
S (that in outer SE bay probably blocked door), pair
similar windows in N elevation (probably later), and long/
round-headed windows in E and W gables; multi-pane glazing
with intersecting astragals. W gable apex bellcote with
attentuated ball finial; local slate roof.
Interior; re-cast late 19th century. Simple pine dado and
boarded ceiling; panelled screen at W screening entrance
lobby and minister's room; late 19th century pews; 20th century octagonal pulpit, communion table and font.
Alcove in centre S wall (probably former minister's door)
with early copper bell and communion plate.
Burial ground; drystone walled burial ground with mainly
19th and 20th century tombs.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Commanding wooded site by Loch Insh.
Insh declared Quoad Sacra parish in 1828 when church
became a "Government" church; communion plate dated 1828
Mural plaque erected 1817 by George MacPherson Grant to
his parents John Macpherson (d. 1799) and Isabella Wilson
(d. 1784). Government manse designed by Thomas Telford
(1828) now Insh House.